Correcting pitcher during game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 13, 2023
I guess I'm not quite understanding. I shouldn't correct her finishing leaned over given that I'm not a pitching coach?
How are you going to correct her by reminding her the same thing over and over? That can become like a chicken hen pecking.

LOL you could write it on her arm with a felt pen it would probably still happen. Just saying there's a lot going on for her young executive thinking brain to tackle.

How about when she doesn't lean forward taking the other good moments and say good job! And leave the oops moments alone.

How are you going to correct her by reminding her the same thing over and over? That can become like a chicken hen pecking.

LOL you could write it on her arm with a felt pen it would probably still happen. Just saying there's a lot going on for her young executive thinking brain to tackle.

How about when she doesn't lean forward taking the other good moments and say good job! And leave the oops moments alone.
Right, I definitely don't want to keep saying "finish tall" over and over if she knows to do it, but doesn't. Just trying to figure out a proper number of corrections without it becoming pointless/detrimental.

May 13, 2023
Right, I definitely don't want to keep saying "finish tall" over and over if she knows to do it, but doesn't. Just trying to figure out a proper number of corrections without it becoming detrimental.
Applaud you for paying attention and wanting to find the best way.

Have experienced that once, twice or three times saying the same thing means it has been communicated.
Now...Her identifying for herself
what she needs to work on
Could be...
Her coming up with her own words for an occasional reminder in a game.
Which may result in the solution for you!

Ask her for her words.
Use fun and positive as a guideline.

For example saying giraffe could be a reminder of staying tall 🙂.
Fun code that is not pointing out she is doing something wrong to everybody.

Jun 18, 2023
Until she's done it enough/a lot to develop her own muscle memory, YOU are her muscle memory. This all predicated on her being receptive to your comments in the heat of the moment. Every pitch is too much, but maybe ask her what she feels is the best time for you to advise her. Learning to self-correct is a thing too.

My daughter's pitching coach(es) sometimes ask her "why do you think X happened on that pitch?" and she's learned why now, which means I don't even have (or won't when it get's warm enough to play) correct mechanics, just point out flaws and SHE can start to fix them. At some point the muscle memory sets in, the mechanics get 'mostly' right and you don't need to be quite on top of them so much.

imo using specific pitching language that her PC uses is more useful, but my daughter is very analytic in that regards. Some might prefer code words, or only advice in a private visit or simply just words of encouragement. figuring that out is the trick of coaching. ;-)

Sep 13, 2021
Thank you all very much for your responses. I very much appreciate that not all answers are cookie cutter since every daughter is different. I'll also be asking her coach (who was a D3 pitcher) on what she thinks as far as corrections in games today at her lesson.
I would add that pitching is hard and development is by no means linear at the beginner and intermediate level. My daughter is 13 and, in many cases, when she started until, really, last year, it was whack-a-mole/one step forward, two steps back where one thing would get fixed, or semi-fixed, but created different problems and/or resulted in decreases in location and/or velocity. A lot of times back then, "fixing" something looked like we were doing the exact opposite and she and I wondered WTF we were doing. But, to her credit, she wanted to pitch and she was willing to put in work, even when it was frustrating. When something gets fixed, or you two have a breakthrough, no matter how small, celebrate it if you can. And then move onto the next thing. The delayed gratification thing and the willingness to suck while new muscle memory is being built is no joke. It requires a real desire to put in focused work in your daughter and a well-stocked reservoir of patience and liquor in you. Not that she's a budding Rachel Garcia now, but we're at the point that we can look back and at least say we're glad we stuck with it and did not kill each other in the process.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
... the problem may be the concern of pegging and hurting a person with the ball...
I've been working with a 12yo, sweetest, most happy, go-lucky kid you'd ever meet. Wouldn't hurt a flea.
Last couple of weeks she's started to develop a slightly evil grin every time she uncorks one in the chin music area.
She may be turning to the dark side.

So to OP, she'll probably grow out of her concern.

Oct 4, 2018
What is her age?

I ask this too.

When I coached 10U travel, I would give the pitchers reminders and encouragement almost every pitch. I did discuss with the girl, her parents and her pitching coach first. We all agreed on the words/phrases to use to best help her in the game.

It worked well. They just have so much to keep track of and worry about. Poor little kids are thinking about 20 things while pitching, only about half of which have to do with mechanics. Getting them to focus on "stay tall" or "loose arm" can really reduce the clutter getting in the way.

Now at 14U, with good pitchers? I don't address anything mid-game. And mostly not even until the tourney is over. In our case, even a bad day for our pitchers is still pretty good. I don't want to make it worse. And quite honestly, I'm not good enough to really know what the actual issue is in most cases.

Applaud you for paying attention and wanting to find the best way.

Have experienced that once, twice or three times saying the same thing means it has been communicated.
Now...Her identifying for herself
what she needs to work on
Could be...
Her coming up with her own words for an occasional reminder in a game.
Which may result in the solution for you!

Ask her for her words.
Use fun and positive as a guideline.

For example saying giraffe could be a reminder of staying tall 🙂.
Fun code that is not pointing out she is doing something wrong to everybody.
I was actually thinking about "giraffe" myself. I'll run it by her :D

Oct 4, 2018
I was trying to say that most coaches aren't pitching coaches so they really aren't able to correct a pitching mechanics during a game.

I've sat on the bucket for many years, listened to lessons with more attention than the pitcher. And yes, I still don't know what she's doing wrong half the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles