Infielder's Throwing Sidearm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2016
I tried teaching it once, never again. Those who can will throw sidearm naturally when necessary. Many naturally throw sidearm all the time. When I instructed those girls to throw sidearm, they started throwing submarine. Just let it be. When they can judge whether or not they have time to throw overhand vs sidearm, they'll do it on their own.

Mar 18, 2014
Georgia
She will start throwing and fielding within 2 weeks. Coaches, Doctors and trainers all seem happy with the progress so far.

She is a great kid that has an unbelievable work ethic.

Her family is a hoot. It's been a pleasure having my daughter train with them these years.

You guys are gonna have a blast. No doubt Columbia will be a rough place for some of the visitors over the next few years.
KM is showing out at SS this year! I love watching her play defense.. Glad she is a Gamecock!

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
50% fielding percentage with this video. And you're advocating this? :confused:

I would.

That play is made 0% of the time with a slapper if the player fields the ball, stands up, and then throws the ball. Obviously the goal of working on it in practice is to increase the odds of making the play game time.

Jun 7, 2013
I played a lot of shortstop for fairly high levels of softball--albeit slow pitch. I don't think that I would have been able to play at that level if I did not have the ability to throw sidearm. Sidearm comes in handy when throwing on the run, turning double plays, and handling slow rolling balls. Throwing sidearm is much, much quicker than standing (and sometimes stopping) to get in position to throw overhand.

I agree that it is a skill that takes some time to learn and develop, but it is a valuable skill for an infielder. When I watch a college fastpitch softball game I, typically, count two or more plays that could have been made if the infielder had the ability to throw sidearm, which is really a big deal in terms of losing an out and a runner gaining a base that they might not have.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi