Infielder's Throwing Sidearm

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
Doesn't that get a lot of sail on it?

I was taught to keep my hand on top of the ball to keep it on plane.

To me, "stay on top" is just a cue to not lay the wrist back. The real key is to keep the fingers behind the ball and make sure it rolls off the tips of the fingers and not the side of the index finger.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Count the number of "real" backhands that result in an out at the next tournament you are at. I am not talking about backhands that were the result of lazy footwork.

And I did say rarely, not never.
It's possible that it's because most backhand plays are deep to the ss right and will be hard to make anyways. I like the backhand as it turns the ss's body and puts her in a better position to make a strong throw

Jul 19, 2012
Sidearm is the only play sometimes and folks who are against it really don't understand the ever increasing speed of the game.

NEF

May 16, 2012
New England
Never seen a coach teach stand up and throw. Always stay low or athletic, some want "from the ear" I like what a local college teaches, stay low and make a "smile" demonstrating the smile as bringing the arm back. The longer the throw, the bigger the smile or the further back the arm goes. DDs team does practice sidearm from second.

Oct 10, 2011
Doesn't that get a lot of sail on it?

I was taught to keep my hand on top of the ball to keep it on plane
To me, "stay on top" is just a cue to not lay the wrist back. The real key is to keep the fingers behind the ball and make sure it rolls off the tips of the fingers and not the side of the index finger.
When I see it sail, it seems like it is happening when the player is trying to throw it really hard and probably gets in under the ball a bit. It's more of getting rid of the ball quickly as opposed to throwing as hard as you can.

Jan 20, 2015
Indiana
IMO - and TYPICALLY - (preface) - only backhand when you cannot get in front of a ball. Sidearm throws are necessary but keeping the hand behind the ball is key to help eliminate tailing or curtailing it. watch the elite infielders and how they throw, Olympic teams of past (google Mike Candrea Olympic fielding drills)

May 3, 2014
Sidearm is the only play sometimes and folks who are against it really don't understand the ever increasing speed of the game.

I have always called this an off foot throw and think it is an absolute must to train your fielders on.

Jul 19, 2012
A lot of that looks like what Kobata calls "side throw" vs "side arm?"

You can call them anything you want but the throw is coming from down low.

That group right there is comprised of a freshman at USF getting considerable playing time and the #1 ranked SS in the 2015 HS class.

The other goofball is my FL JUCO daughter.

The SS will be in the SEC so you guys will get to witness the magic on TV. Some really crazy fielding stuff. Been watching that practice routine for years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi