Here is my DD's latest swings entering Senior year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
try swinging a tennis racket with only the bottom hand...same bottom hand/wrist action
Nice example and explaination.
FFS,nice gif and close up.Clear as day the hand positions

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The Cal Ripken approach....try swinging a tennis racket with only the bottom hand...same bottom hand/wrist action....same as golf....we have players backhand a pad to get the feeling as well instead of karate chopping....forearm needs to supinate...

MTS ... I believe this may be what you were referring to.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
As most know I'm new to really understanding the swing. So if I demo the swing then, yes I was palm up,palm down at contact. I know this was/is wrong,but demo it like that. I don't know why maybe that is what I thought was correct. So out of this discussion and the gif examples I see what the proper hand position should be and gif of what it looks like. Also videos of different ways to possibly reinforce the movements to properly teach and learn. Another day of learning something new.

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
As most know I'm new to really understanding the swing. So if I demo the swing then, yes I was palm up,palm down at contact. I know this was/is wrong,but demo it like that. I don't know why maybe that is what I thought was correct. So out of this discussion and the gif examples I see what the proper hand position should be and gif of what it looks like. Also videos of different ways to possibly reinforce the movements to properly teach and learn. Another day of learning something new.

Grab the bat and do a top hand only swing. Fingers 90 degrees to the bat.

Now grab the bat and do a bottom hand only, holding it angled in you finger tips. From tip of pointer finger to base of pinky. Now do a back hand tennis swing.

Now do both hands. I like and teach the team girls a split grip, just like an inch gap between hands. Now swing, whipping top hand past bottom hand.

I don't think "palm up palm down" or close to it is necessarily wrong, just a different road to the same destination.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Grab the bat and do a top hand only swing. Fingers 90 degrees to the bat.

Now grab the bat and do a bottom hand only, holding it angled in you finger tips. From tip of pointer finger to base of pinky. Now do a back hand tennis swing.

Now do both hands. I like and teach the team girls a split grip, just like an inch gap between hands. Now swing, whipping top hand past bottom hand.

I don't think "palm up palm down" or close to it is necessarily wrong, just a different road to the same destination.

It probably comes down to one's destination.

This guy here, wouldn't have reached the same destination if he realized an objective of having the palms parallel with each other at contact.

1ftr4n.gif

2q8suj7.jpg
v9ev6.jpg

Give yourself a goal of making "contact deep" on a pitch "low in the zone" ... video yourself ... chances are that if your palms were parallel to each other at contact, that you aren't liking the swing. Ask yourself what you have to do to be successful with the palms being parallel to each other at contact, for a pitch "low in the zone" in which "contact is made deep" ... and then you'll realize the flaws that this goal can embed in one's swing.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dadmad