Here is my DD's latest swings entering Senior year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 19, 2009
My two cents!!!

What you are doing in a swing is transferring energy from the ground, through the legs, body, arms, into the bat and finally the ball. The more efficient you can do that the greater force applied to the ball, along with squaring up a round bat with a round ball.

Avoid extremes, IMO the hip coil from observing the video is a little too much and may distract from her being able to track the ball efficiently, especially the inside pitch. It also seems to take away from her flowing to the ball. She separates the front foot and hands (walking away from the hands) and then coils her hip or makes it two different moves and should be one fluid move.

The front foot could land more efficiently IMO the way she lands keeps her from hitting against good resistance, land more on the big toe and big toe side of the foot and land more pigeon toed (front foot more straight). She also, what Alabama staff refer to, as leaks or when she has her knees outside her ankles at different points in the swing, which IMO takes away from her power. Being pigeon toed and not having duck feet helps her in using her hips. IMO you want to keep knees inside the ankles through the swing, tip do swings with a basket ball pressed between the knees to get the feeling of not leaking.

When she fires her hips the hips and hands are almost at the same time, hips first with the bat/hands stays back stretching the core muscles to deliver a greater force to the ball. The finish can improve with better bat extension and the bat should extend to the field hitting to and belly button pointing to the direction you are hitting the ball. You want to think of hitting through three balls, she never gets to the power V.

IMO her swing is not bad at all, but I look at all swings as a work in progress, and as a player you want to stride to get better and better. Good luck to her I hope she does well! :cool:

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
Thanks Straight Leg - You would think she pulls it but not often. Dead center deep, center right line drives and gappers, hard grounders between short and third when pulled.

Peppers - thanks for taking the time with the 2 cents. They input I received from that post makes a great deal of sense.
IMO you want to keep knees inside the ankles through the swing
I though she was until I shot this video. She has been off about 25 days and this was the first she hit.

When she fires her hips the hips and hands are almost at the same time, hips first with the bat/hands stays back stretching the core muscles to deliver a greater force to the ball. The finish can improve with better bat extension and the bat should extend to the field hitting to and belly button pointing to the direction you are hitting the ball. You want to think of hitting through three balls, she never gets to the power V.
This is what I have been seeing on the top side. Good wording. helpful.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Say you have Palm up/Palm down at impact. What benefit do you see rolling the wrists after impact?

SL

According to Doc Yeager, technically the rear arm is pronating starting at contact.

Resisting pronation will inhibit swing speed. Assisting pronation is not the way to go either. It is a release type process.

Sep 17, 2009
According to Doc Yeager, technically the rear arm is pronating starting at contact.

Resisting pronation will inhibit swing speed. Assisting pronation is not the way to go either. It is a release type process.

And SL asked earlier, what would your swing look like if you didn't "roll the wrists" after contact....

I tried to swing that way, and you end up with something that looks like lhowser's DD's original swing : >

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Maybe it's not the fact of "rolling the wrists'' after contact. Maybe it's more of what happens if you don't "roll the wrists"? How do you finish your swing. To me how lhowser's DD finishes her swing,because she doesn't "roll the wrist" is found by looking at her from the hips/waist down. She has to straighten out her rear leg and twist her rear foot/heel outwards. Her rear heel/leg twist outwards to assisted the hips, so she can finish her swing as a result of not "rolling the wrist" after contact. I hope this make sense?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Yes RichK, I tend to agree with you. IMO, IH's DD tends to block the rollover type action with her lead arm. Another form of avoiding rollover is to physically push & prevent pronation with the rear arm.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Say you have Palm up/Palm down at impact. What benefit do you see rolling the wrists after impact?

SL

I know you aren't saying that the bottom-hand should be parallel to the ground at contact ... or that the bottom hand should be parallel with the top hand at contact ... but it is common instruction that isn't validated by inspection of how the best hitter's swing ... and it is instruction that can lead to release type issues.

1ftr4n.gif

2v7xdlw.gif

R

RayR

Palm up/Palm down is like hand stacked over the elbow. It is approx.
In this swing you posted the top hand is palm up, bottom hand kinda palm down...

Getting back to his daughter, if she push's the bat too much with the top hand sometimes it leads to going out over the plate to much and not keeping a tight hand pivot point.
My DD does and still does that some. And yes her power V was too far away from the body when she loaded around the corner.

In IH"s dd swing, that is what the swing looked like to me, That is why, I asked...does she hit balls left

SL

Agree the HPP is too far away from her body

Trying to use more meaningful mental imagery give this a shot:

Have her picture in her head that the sweet spot of the bat is a fly swatter and the ball is a fly....would she try and swat the fly using a slow sweepy motion and intentionally try and lock the wirsts or would she try and use her wrists/hands to quickly swat the fly.

Once the barrel is put in motion correctly (and it may not be visually apparent) the whip of the barrel will create a tighter HPP and thus allow the back arm to "roll out" and extend....

You have to trust using your wrists and hands to apply force to turn the barrel...there will be cocking of the wrists to do this efficiently....

R

RayR

The Cal Ripken approach....try swinging a tennis racket with only the bottom hand...same bottom hand/wrist action....same as golf....we have players backhand a pad to get the feeling as well instead of karate chopping....forearm needs to supinate...

Red bolded portion above .... no, the bottom-hand palm is not parallel with the top-hand palm at contact.

2q8suj7.jpg

v9ev6.jpg

Black bolded portion above ... faulty goals can lead to the development of faulty swings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi