Here is my DD's latest swings entering Senior year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

R

RayR

I am curious how others feel about this:

Should a standard swing for a ball down the middle (or off a tee set up fairly middle/middle) result in the front arm never straightening out?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
While it may be true that the "mark of a good instructor is that he knows a good swing when he sees one", it is not the case that either of these swings represents a high quality swing. Both swings have embedded mechanics that significantly degrade their potential. It is so important to use drills that capture goals that can be confirmed via the Hanson Principle ... and what we see here are swings that have captured mechanics that do not comply with the Hanson Principle.

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
These two swings include mechanics that degrade energy transfer to the barrel. Chicken-wing swings, and swings with mechanics that restrict extension, shouldn't be a goal IMO.

Well, when you only view super slo mo video and look at still pics. You only worry about positions and not movement. So, not only has it been documented that O'Leary doesn't view things in 3 dimension. He doesn't view motion as well. Bad mix.

Oct 12, 2009
These two swings include mechanics that degrade energy transfer to the barrel. Chicken-wing swings, and swings with mechanics that restrict extension, shouldn't be a goal IMO.

LOL.

This guy's never going to go anywhere.

AlbertPujols_2006_HomeRun_001.jpg

HYP

Nov 17, 2012
LOL.

This guy's never going to go anywhere.

AlbertPujols_2006_HomeRun_001.jpg

You are the best. Thanks for proven my point. You look at still Pics and say, "see, same position. Must be doing the same thing". Do you not care how they got there? Apparently not.

So, are you saying that this girl and Pujols are doing the same thing?

Jan 13, 2012
Lurkers,

Second, look at the two swings carefully, because this is what you are going for.

Not by a long shot. Neither swing is high-level.

This is a VERY high-level swing.

At the point of contact, you can see the same Power L position that you see in my clips of Megan Bush.

Positions are positions. Motion is what matters. I can swing with my arms and get to the "Power L" position. It's not so much if you get to the position, it's HOW you each the position.

Public_MeganBush_1B_HR_ToLF_09-071_20FPS_R.gif

Megan Bush does not have a high-level swing. She's pushing with her arms.

My comments are in bold. There's one way to learn things. Swing bat and make a video. Watch the video and compare it to a high-level hitter. Repeat until you match.

Here's a clip of Megan Bush that PROVES she doesn't have a high-level swing:
5upvzk.gif

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2009

How would you (collectively, y'all) un-restrict this players extension and upgrade energy transfer to the barrel? IMO the chicken-wing would be gone if Bush/Pujols level of extension occurred.

Let's assume this player does the reverse top hand drill to promote extension, but that extension doesn't translate to real swings. Can you (all) give suggestions without using the words 'turn the barrel'. That cue/description still means little to this Dad and the phrase is starting to sound evasive. If you want the player to do whatever it is that you understand and describe as 'turn the barrel, then describe practically how you would go about it without using the phrase, please. My apologies for not understanding that phrase after twelve pages of it's own thread. I feel like the only one :/

redhotcoach

Out on good behavior
May 8, 2009
Vw. Ffs may have different thought...but me, without using turn... Extension to me happens, it is not something you do drills for. If you are whipping the barrel. If you are throwing the top hand past the bottom hand, extension will happen. Guess what, if you don't top hand release, roll over will happen too.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LisagS24