Here is my DD's latest swings entering Senior year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Sep 17, 2009
Hi lhowser, your DD looks strong and athletic.

I remember her swing (correct me if I'm wrong) that was posted about a year ago, in an indoor cage, bunch of swings front and back view, right?

I'm not a huge fan of her stride, but I also know it's not necessarily "wrong". Tewks had a great article on stride types, she's a toe toucher, it looks to me : >

Don't Get Your Foot Down Early (and 5 Striding Patterns)

Would love to see her against a live game pitch.

I agree with FFS and MTS about her hands. It's really hard to figure out what she does with her arms/hands (FFS called it chicken-winging at times), but best I can see/describe it is that if there's a lag-and-release in the swing with the wrists and hands, she gets her hands to lag but doesn't release them. Instead she sort of finishes her swing by rotating her arms/upper body, if that makes sense. She seems to be trying to generate "oomph" with her upper body rather than throwing the barrel to generate bat speed....

FFS shows a compare swing..., watch it and think about throwing the "top hand past the bottom hand" as a release the hands cue.

MTS talks about oily wrists and better feeling what the hands/wrists need to do. I agree.

If she threw the bat with that swing I think it would end up in the third base dugout, so maybe play around with throwing bats, in particular with the goal of throwing top hand past the bottom one...

Sep 29, 2008
Northeast Ohio
I agree with FFS and MTS about her hands. It's really hard to figure out what she does with her arms/hands (FFS called it chicken-winging at times), but best I can see/describe it is that if there's a lag-and-release in the swing with the wrists and hands, she gets her hands to lag but doesn't release them. Instead she sort of finishes her swing by rotating her arms/upper body, if that makes sense. She seems to be trying to generate "oomph" with her upper body rather than throwing the barrel to generate bat speed....

FFS shows a compare swing..., watch it and think about throwing the "top hand past the bottom hand" as a release the hands cue.

Well I have to say I appreciate the input and agree with much of the input. Good thoughts on both the lower and upper half. The above quote from Rich which includes input from FFS and MTS is what I hope I can get her to feel and concentrate on. She mentally understands it. You would think she hits most to left with the clips but she actually hits her deepest shots to dead center and most base hits to right.

Much to think about. I will try to review and add some additional feedback. Hope others are learning because the input is quite helpful to me.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Hi lhowser, your DD looks strong and athletic.

I remember her swing (correct me if I'm wrong) that was posted about a year ago, in an indoor cage, bunch of swings front and back view, right?

I'm not a huge fan of her stride, but I also know it's not necessarily "wrong". Tewks had a great article on stride types, she's a toe toucher, it looks to me : >

Don't Get Your Foot Down Early (and 5 Striding Patterns)

Would love to see her against a live game pitch.

MTS talks about oily wrists and better feeling what the hands/wrists need to do. I agree.

If she threw the bat with that swing I think it would end up in the third base dugout, so maybe play around with throwing bats, in particular with the goal of throwing top hand past the bottom one...

Right.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
ds8jl.gif

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
I think of it more of swinging a hammer and the wrists break like driving a nail, except your holding the hammer/bat like a side arm throw verses vertical

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Ihowser
What I posted is what I saw in the swing. In person are nets are marked for ball flight. We adjust the swing accordingly.
Good Luck to your DD senior year.
Enjoy every minute

SL

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi