D1 pitcher wearing mask in game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Add the Houston Cougars pitcher (Deidre Outon) to the D1 pitcher w/ mask list. Watching her pitch a nice game v BYU (currently up 9-2 in the bottom of the seventh)

For some unknown reason I get BYUtv here so seeing a lot of BYU softball this season (a team which is massively injured and struggling a lot this season).

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
Went to four college games. No masks in sight.

Really? I have gone to about ten college games this season and there were at least 3 people who were smart enough to wear a mask in each game, the HP umpire and the two catchers. Sorry, I had to say it. I just wish some of the other players would get smart and start wearing a softball mask!

Feb 3, 2011
Went to watch Cal vs Sac State today and there were no masks. There was so little contact, though, that it hardly mattered in the 1-0 game.

Jan 22, 2011
Maybe the more appropriate point of reference is college players wearing face masks on their batting helmets. Three seasons ago most girls didn't. The last year or so at least half the girls do wear the face masks on their batting helmets.

Oct 3, 2011
I'm watching Northwestern play Minnesota on BTN. The announcer said Kaitlyn Richardson broke her nose yesterday. She's playing third and noticed she is now wearing a mask. I did not catch how she broke her nose.

Last edited:

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Maybe the more appropriate point of reference is college players wearing face masks on their batting helmets. Three seasons ago most girls didn't. The last year or so at least half the girls do wear the face masks on their batting helmets.

You have to wear a batting cage on your batting helmet in case Tim Walton gives you the sign to lean into a high one....

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Gbucz

WNY native now in Charlotte, NC
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
My DD has caught two liners for outs using the side of her mask. Made the double play on one. She will never go without. "I would have to leave the game if I got hit in the face. I'm no good on the bench!" Her words not mine.

Feb 24, 2012
Minn 3B usually no mask, but took a bad hop and broke nose in Fri night game. Came back later that game w/ mask and wore Sat and Sun as well. By the way, she hit 2 HR in Sat game! Tough kid!!!!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1