D1 pitcher wearing mask in game

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 24, 2011
Why? My pet peeve is parents and coaches constantly whining about this should be made mandatory or that should be required when the parents and coaches have the ultimate responsibility and authority in protecting the players.
QUOTE]

Maybe just to protect the kids with stupid parents and take the "you wont be recruited if you wear a mask" crap out of the equation. What could be the harm in that?

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I am often asked, "My daughter won't wear a face mask. What should I do?" I am willing to bet that a majority of parents won't require it, because they won't say "OK, don't play."

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
I stand by my comment. Banning bats that are too hot is supposed to protect pitchers. So why not continue to protect them with masks? I would bet anything that when the first girl dies from a crushing line drive to the nose, masks will become mandatory.

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Why? My pet peeve is parents and coaches constantly whining about this should be made mandatory or that should be required when the parents and coaches have the ultimate responsibility and authority in protecting the players.
QUOTE]

Maybe just to protect the kids with stupid parents and take the "you wont be recruited if you wear a mask" crap out of the equation. What could be the harm in that?

Are the coaches that stupid, also?

This whole thing is based on the coaches and parents want someone else to be the bad guy. The adults want to be friends. Well, you know what? You cannot live with a priority of being a friend and a good parent at the same time. I'm sure there are loads of people using a few choice words right not about how wrong I am, but someone who fears losing a "friend" cannot make an important decision for the benefit of the child that they know in advance will not be accepted well. You want to be your child's friend? Wait until they are no longer a child.

JMHO

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
How exactly was Goingdeep supposes to "protect" his dd last night as she was getting blasted? Do you have a magic wand that freezes time? Or are you going to say it was his fault for not teaching her to "protect" herself better? She should have entered the matrix and dodged the ball in super slo-mo. Your post was probably one of the dumbest statements I've ever had the misfortune of reading.

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
We enforce batters to wear helmets because a pitched ball traveling at an average speed of 65mph (D1) might hit her, but a batted ball screaming back at 100 MPH doesn't require any protection? Doesn't make sense!

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
Change the bat or change the ball. It's getting ridiculous.

The bats have been reigned in and the ball is there, but everyone will go crazy, thinking by using it in FP will keep the ball in the park and cost DD their "power".

So, now, there is a choice: Player safety or chase the carrot, which is more important?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DezA