If you want to play college softball, there is a place for you.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Yesterday, I stumbled across a social media account of DD's former 14U TB teammate, and was surprised to she she is playing college softball for the past several years. This player was at the very bottom of the team as far as skill set is concerned. I don't think she even made the JV roster as a freshman, and I am almost certain she didn't get any playing time in HS. Her HS team is usually a top program with lots of D1 players. Last time I saw her pitch was 5 years ago playing for the Hittin' Kittens, and I surely thought there is no way she plans on playing in college. Anyway, looks like she wanted to play college enough to find a small program in Wisconsin. Still not much playing time, but she is wearing the uniform. Just further proves the point, If you want to play college softball there is a program for you. And good for her, and shame on me for my former way of thinking.

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
There is a place to play college softball for anyone who wants to - it just might not be where you want to. or think it is.

It is amazing to see which girls do end up playing in college and which girls stay with it through more than a season.

May 13, 2023
In California there are junior colleges that will take just about any player that's willing to show up for the season. Including beginners that don't know the game.
Bonus junior college is free.

Also know of junior colleges that are looking to hire coaches the pay is
$10,000 to $12,000 per season.
( this is for a few jc colleges I'm aware of)

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
In California there are junior colleges that will take just about any player that's willing to show up for the season. Including beginners that don't know the game.
Bonus junior college is free.

Also know of junior colleges that are looking to hire coaches the pay is
$10,000 to $12,000 per season.
( this is for a few jc colleges I'm aware of)
JC pay for HC in Florida is $50-70k base.
Which may be why they win a lot of national titles. It is basically D1 softball

Jul 22, 2015
We never had a player finish 18u without an offer to play in college. A few didn't really even want to play college ball and still had offers. Of course, some did not receive offers from their dream school, but they all had a chance to keep playing if they wanted to.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014
I got into a debate about this on a FB site with someone who rattled off a bunch of numbers, some of them very dubious, in an attempt to prove that this premise was mathematically impossible. However, I became convinced of the truth of it by simply observing what happened to players I personally know.

One of my favorite examples is a player who couldn't crack the starting varsity HS lineup as a senior, and another who eventually did, but enjoyed telling the story about how the HS coach forgot her name even though she'd been in his program since middle school. Both were solid, if unspectacular TB players. Both ended up on a decent JUCO team, both improved, and are now on a DIV II roster. I know of several others who were of clearly below average ability who also ended up on JUCO rosters.

If you are a reasonably competent (not necessarily good) HS-aged player with enough motivation, you can make a college roster somewhere.

Last edited:
May 13, 2023
On the other hand,...know there are really talented softball players that will not be accepted into 4 year college because of their GPA. Regardless of their talent.

At a certain point certain college coaches will not offer spots to players that are high risk of not being eligible.

For those that think that Talent will overcome the high risk category... roll the dice on that... what are the odds in Vegas?

Apr 1, 2017
The school(s) they really want to get into, no matter what
The major(s) they really want to be in, no matter what
Really want to play softball, no matter what

The priority order that these 3 statements are in will determine a lot of it.

I have no doubt that if playing softball is #1, 99% could play somewhere. The reverse is true too. Someone could be a pretty decent player, but if it's always been their goal to go to school at big P5 university, their softball days are likely over.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
On the other hand,...know there are really talented softball players that will not be accepted into 4 year college because of their GPA. Regardless of their talent.

At a certain point certain college coaches will not offer spots to players that are high risk of not being eligible.

For those that think that Talent will overcome the high risk category... roll the dice on that... what are the odds in Vegas?
I know of at least 5 players in DD's college program who became academically ineligible due to poor grades. They underestimated the rigors of the institution. DD graduated HS Magna Cum Laude-Top 5%. Earned a Finance Degree with barely 3.0 GPA. She said the professors made the exams unnecessarily difficult.

Strike2

Allergic to BS
Nov 14, 2014

Very true. One of the best HS players in my state in 2019 lasted a single semester at a top P5 softball program. She tore it up at a good JUCO for two seasons...pitching, hitting, and in the field...and then disappeared.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles