If you want to play college softball, there is a place for you.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 16, 2013
Pennsylvania
Grade inflation is real!!! You get an A. You get an A, everyone gets an A! Last year there were 45 Valedictorians at a neighboring school. 1 B and you plumet out of the top 20%. These counselors are pushing all the kids into the AP classes when the should be in the regular classes. DD2-we know her limits and we pushed back and said no to 2 of the AP classes. Why put on the added pressure? She wants to be an elementary school teacher.

At DD1, college they used a grade scale-A+, A, A-, B+, B, B- Those A- grades didn't help her GPA.
Drives me crazy... I fully expect to be in a hospital someday and have someone tell me "The surgeon scheduled to handle your procedure today is only here because we reduced the requirements. Good luck!!"

Oct 4, 2018
look in the proverbial mirror..All of this stuff is driven by the “customers” (eg parents)…

Yes, I need to go to many of the players' houses and look in their mirrors.

I think it's the right thing to do regardless of the fact my girls are geniuses, uh geni, uh... smart.

Oct 4, 2018
Our Booster club gave $500 scholly to the student/athlete who had the highest class rank in each sport at our All Sports Spring Banquet. Also we give $1000 to the student/athlete who had the overall highest class rank for all sports.

Nice.

The "student" part of student-athlete seems to be forgotten many places. Happy to see it's not forgotten everywhere.

Oct 15, 2013
Seattle, WA
A few of us booster club board members wanted to simply mention the Highschool softball girls who had high GPAs. Just give them a quick shout out at the banquet for doing it on the field and in the classroom.

We were told no, it would be mean to the others.

WTF
My DD had a middle school graduation (yes, that was a real thing) where no one was allowed to cheer or clap for students as their names were announced on the grounds that it might make some kids feel bad because they didn’t get enough applause. It was weird. It felt more like a day of remembrance than a celebration.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, I need to go to many of the players' houses and look in their mirrors.

I think it's the right thing to do regardless of the fact my girls are geniuses, uh geni, uh... smart.
Many parents are TOO involved in their kid’s lives now..as weird as that might sound. From the age of maybe 12 till I went to college my parents didn’t even know where I was half the time. As long as I made it home when I was supposed all was well..

May 21, 2018
My DD had a middle school graduation (yes, that was a real thing) where no one was allowed to cheer or clap for students as their names were announced on the grounds that it might make some kids feel bad because they didn’t get enough applause. It was weird. It felt more like a day of remembrance than a celebration.
We did the same in the 80's (for high school and middle school) in a very small town in middle America. This isn't new or really rare. I'm in favor of it in middle school, but I'm admittedly a softy when it comes to kids.

Some kids have large supportive families show up, while some are lucky to have their drunk grandma stumble in cuz their parents are in the joint. Will the cheering kill them? No, but this is supposed to be a happy event, and some kids don't always need to be reminded their situation sucks.

Last edited:
May 29, 2015
Drives me crazy... I fully expect to be in a hospital someday and have someone tell me "The surgeon scheduled to handle your procedure today is only here because we reduced the requirements. Good luck!!"

There is a portion (significant? many? I don't want to over-generalize) who only got into med school because of who daddy or mommy was or the check they could write.

Apr 30, 2018
We did the same in the 80's (for high school and middle school) in a very small town in middle America. This isn't new or really rare. I'm in favor of it in middle school, but I'm admittedly a softy when it comes to kids.

Some kids have large supportive families show up, while some are lucky to have their drunk grandma stumble in cuz their parents are in the joint. Will the cheering kill them? No, but this is supposed to be a happy event, and some kids don't always need to be reminded their situation sucks.
It also saves an hour if everybody waits and claps at the end. You still have a few that are going to scream for their kid regardless of what they are asked to do.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles