Contemplating not playing HS next year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Nov 14, 2011
....and walking away like a baby because the coach (Or boss) failed to 'read your mind.'

Her HS coach #1 rule is never to discuss playing time, period. He made that point very clear at the very first practice. My DD has no option of talking to him about playing position/time with him. His rules. She has talked to the batting coach about what she needs to work on so she knows that she is serious about getting better, but can't talk tot he coach. So if you consider her walking away because of lack of communication her fault, I'm not sure what I can tell you at this point to change your mind or how you feel my DD is acting.

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Isn't high school ball only a few months commitment? She's helping her team be competitive, who cares if she doesn't bat. Save that for her travel ball team. She can be the star, get written up in the local newspapers. Have some fun and support your friends and teammates who are also part of the team.

Things must be really different with HS coaches where you are.

DD can't wait for this HS season to end...and this after winning a championship last year and trying to win another before college in the fall...in fact, only reason DD is playing at all is because college coach "suggested" it...

90% of the girls can't stand each other off the field...and it's not much better on the field...but coach keeps up the "kumbaya" singing (when not punishing the whole team for the repeated errors of a few)...

Come Senior Night, DW and I will be bawling with the other parents...partially because DD's HS career is done but also BECAUSE DD's HS nightmare has finally ended and she can move on...

I realize others have different scenarios where they live...back in the day playing for your school meant something special...and in many places it probably still does...

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
Her HS coach #1 rule is never to discuss playing time, period. He made that point very clear at the very first practice. My DD has no option of talking to him about playing position/time with him. His rules. She has talked to the batting coach about what she needs to work on so she knows that she is serious about getting better, but can't talk tot he coach. So if you consider her walking away because of lack of communication her fault, I'm not sure what I can tell you at this point to change your mind or how you feel my DD is acting.

Handwriting is on the wall...IMHO your DD needs to concentrate on what makes her happy and move on...

Aug 12, 2014
IMO it's simple: she's not enjoying it at all, so what is she getting out of it? If she has other options to play that she would enjoy more, there's no reason to keep playing on this team.

Feb 7, 2013
Things must be really different with HS coaches where you are.

DD can't wait for this HS season to end...and this after winning a championship last year and trying to win another before college in the fall...in fact, only reason DD is playing at all is because college coach "suggested" it...

90% of the girls can't stand each other off the field...and it's not much better on the field...but coach keeps up the "kumbaya" singing (when not punishing the whole team for the repeated errors of a few)...

Come Senior Night, DW and I will be bawling with the other parents...partially because DD's HS career is done but also BECAUSE DD's HS nightmare has finally ended and she can move on...

I realize others have different scenarios where they live...back in the day playing for your school meant something special...and in many places it probably still does...

I'm a little surprised that coming from San Diego that you wouldn't have some decent coaches and good team chemistry especially with a championship team? In the greater LA area where I live, the local high schools seem to do a good job of keeping the peace and creating a positive environment (even though there are some politics as you would get with any team). DD is only in middle school so maybe I will feel different if and when she plays HS ball?

Dec 23, 2009
San Diego
I'm a little surprised that coming from San Diego that you wouldn't have some decent coaches and good team chemistry especially with a championship team? In the greater LA area where I live, the local high schools seem to do a good job of keeping the peace and creating a positive environment (even though there are some politics as you would get with any team). DD is only in middle school so maybe I will feel different if and when she plays HS ball?

A lot of the schools in my area have very good coaches. Obviously like every other school district some have the ones that drew the short straws. The current varsity coach (AND AD - hence nothing gets solved) took over after having never coached softball (she coached soccer and volleyball). Her answer to every problem is punishment running. And the more you "praise" her, the more playing time your kid gets (even when averaging 2-3 errors a game at 1B).

Countdown is roughly 10 games - if DD's team makes the playoffs, maybe a few more...best of luck to all HS players and parents...it does go by (warts and all) so fast...:cool:

Mar 23, 2010
Cafilornia
The two happiest days in a HS softball season:

The first day of tryouts which is filled with anticipation of the great things to come.

Last game of the season which is filled with anticipation of putting a fork in this thing and calling it done.

Just like any other bad marriage........or owning a British car. ;-)

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I think I get it now: "Sacrificing for the team is great, as long as it is someone else's DD sacrificing for the team. Because, obviously, my DD is better than everyone else on the team."

TB is wonderful, of course, since Daddy has personally selected the team so that his DD can be "happy" (i.e., playing every game and batting 4th) every game.

After all, being happy is all there is, right?

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I think I get it now: "Sacrificing for the team is great, as long as it is someone else's DD sacrificing for the team. Because, obviously, my DD is better than everyone else on the team."

TB is wonderful, of course, since Daddy has personally selected the team so that his DD can be "happy" (i.e., playing every game and batting 4th) every game.

After all, being happy is all there is, right?

No, but you are under no obligation to continually do something that makes you miserable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi