Contemplating not playing HS next year

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
The two happiest days in a HS softball season:

The first day of tryouts which is filled with anticipation of the great things to come.

Last game of the season which is filled with anticipation of putting a fork in this thing and calling it done.

Oct 3, 2011
Right Here For Now
True, the selection of college and TB are similar. But, it's much easier to get off one TB team and onto another, even in mid-season. Transferring from one college to another is a hassle unless you're Alex Hugo or Geri Ann Glasco. And there is no amount of due diligence that will allow you to predict 4 years with much certainty. It might look like you've got a great shot to be the starting 3B as a sophomore after the all-conference senior graduates, but then they sign a hot-shot freshman, or another girl emerges who can hit 25 HR, so they shoe-horn her into 3B because they have to put her somewhere. Now they want you to be the #1 pinch-hitter and cheerleader until something opens, and it might not. Then what do you do?

I'm not a college coach, but I'd think a major thing I'd be looking for is a quality that made me think, 'That girl isn't just looking for what's in it for her, but really wants to represent this school and will play for her teammates and do everything she can to make it work before she bails out.'

In travel ball, I'm not as worried about that. Easy come, easy go.

True, but in college, hopefully the player has the insight and knowledge that if she's "replaced" or "moved out" she needs to work harder at whatever skills they need to work at in order to break the line-up; i.e. hitting to the point where they can't be ignored. It seems to me that in this situation, even though there isn't enough information to be certain( I've made an assumption or two:D) that the coach isn't willing to give the player that option since all pitchers aren't aloud to play other positions. I would hope that this isn't the case since it seems counterproductive to the team but we are talking HS ball where some coaches already have set opinions about certain things and are either unwilling to change them or are unwilling to continue to keep up with the evolutions of an ever progressing game.

Jun 18, 2012
Utah
What are the options if not playing HS ball?

I would love to see travelball taking over HS ball! That is, if enough players wanted to play travelball instead of high school ball across the region, high school ball would likely eventually die, due mainly to having the choice of who one plays for/under.

Feb 7, 2013
Isn't high school ball only a few months commitment? She's helping her team be competitive, who cares if she doesn't bat. Save that for her travel ball team. She can be the star, get written up in the local newspapers. Have some fun and support your friends and teammates who are also part of the team.

obbay

Banned
Aug 21, 2008
Boston, MA
DD #2 and I look at HS ball as a practice season to get ready for summer tournaments. She's not getting to pitch, but she's a starter and is learning to play CF. She really likes the team- good overall attitude and chemistry.

As long as it is a positive experience for her, it's a good thing. If your DD is not enjoying the experience and is not being given the opportunity to grow as a player, I say it's time to go out for track!

I tried to talk DD#1 into Track-Field events. I think she could have been good with the Javelin and Discus but she wanted to stay in the abusive relationship because she loved softball.

Last edited:
May 6, 2014
Low and outside
If she prefers not playing to only pitching, tell her not to play. Our school used to have three teams. This year, out of a school of 800 kids, they only had enough softball players for one team. Some of the girls who got cut would love to have your daughter's spot.

Jan 18, 2010
In your face
Around here, across all ages, the top softball pitchers are also the best hitters. Flip that coin over: around here, across all ages, the top baseball pitchers are among the worst hitters..........if they bat at all. That was always weird to me.

Nov 14, 2011
There are many, many reasons not to play high school softball. But to play devil's advocate for a minute, I'm not sure I am a fan of this particular reason.

She's basically saying that she'll play, as long as she gets the role that she wants. If not, she won't play. If the coach had this info in tryouts, he/she might not have taken her.

It's a travel-ball attitude, IMO. In travel ball, it's only natural that a player find the team that fits her needs. If she wants to pitch and hit, she finds a team that will let her pitch and hit.

I hear what you are saying but I think you are putting words in my DD's mouth that she hasn't said. She hasn't said that she won't play unless she gets the role she wants, but it is the mentality of a coach that will only utilize a player in this capacity that is puzzling. My DD is a good pitcher, but not awesome. It isn't like he is saving his "star" player from being injured in risk of saving a great season. We are far from that. Attending 4-5 days of practice per week to play 3 innings a game (when she plays) is far from what she wants, and then not to swing a bat is puzzling.

My DD just brought it up in conversation to me over the weekend and it got me thinking. Why would we want to "sacrifice" (your words, not mine) playing time that she would get on a travel team to play for the HS for a coach that doesn't reward hard work, dedication and quality over other players that have less of all three characteristics? Like I said there are several players with batting averages less than .100 on the roster that bat every game. What are they sacrificing?

Thanks for your input.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi