Leaving team after 6weeks

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
You committed to this team, you should stay with it until your commitment is over.

This is always my default, but it also appears that they were made promises that are not being kept. To me, that coach is violating the "contract," so to speak.

I wouldn't walk away yet. It's only a few games. But if you're told A, B and C, and the coach is actually doing D, E, and F and there's no evidence of that changing, I think you're well within your rights. You were sold a bill of goods.

Jan 25, 2022
There are a few key things I've learned over the past four years of coaching or instructing in some capacity at all levels of school ball. One of them is that extensive coaching experience and the ability to evaluate players are not mutually exclusive. This especially goes for defensive choices. What seems completely obvious to me is not necessarily what someone else sees--even if they have more experience than I do.

I see these posts about travel teams and how they aren't utilizing the OP's kid correctly, etc, and my thought on it is that *IF* OP's evaluation is accurate, they're probably just at the mercy of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.

May 13, 2023
There are a few key things I've learned over the past four years of coaching or instructing in some capacity at all levels of school ball. One of them is that extensive coaching experience and the ability to evaluate players are not mutually exclusive. This especially goes for defensive choices. What seems completely obvious to me is not necessarily what someone else sees--even if they have more experience than I do.

I see these posts about travel teams and how they aren't utilizing the OP's kid correctly, etc, and my thought on it is that *IF* OP's evaluation is accurate, they're probably just at the mercy of someone who doesn't know what they're doing.
That's a fair perspective think it does happen.
Sometimes think it happens that the coach has made an evaluation/ decision that is way off and then blames the player for not being able to hold down the position.

Like putting a player at third base just because they have a strong arm except they're afraid of the ball and back off of it.

May 17, 2012
Currently twice a week with the club endorsed coach who has her with three pitches, great speed, and good command. I’m sure if our team coach would ask the pitching coach she would find out what she needs to know.

Not sure why you think the team coach is going to reach out to your daughter's pitching coach. I would also point out that your pitching coach's interests are not the same as your team coach's.

Most coaches like to win and they aren't putting better players on the bench or not playing (pitching) them. Are you winning games and tournaments?

Jan 25, 2022
That's a fair perspective think it does happen.
Sometimes think it happens that the coach has made an evaluation/ decision that is way off and then blames the player for not being able to hold down the position.
Agreed. I've seen kids put in position that they have either never played, or are completely incapable of holding down. Like still cant throw and catch consistently (middle school age) and are put at 1B. And I'm like wtf? And they're like "figured i'd give it a shot. ya never know." and it's like "Yes, I DO know. She literally can't even catch a warmup pass and you've got a kid who throws 40mph overhand playing SS."

Or an older kid who can run down a tough ball but still lets every fly ball hit her in the palm and bounce out 7 out of 10 times, can't field a line drive off the ground, has a weak arm, and doesn't usually know where to throw the ball when she comes up with it starts in the OF. Meanwhile a kid who can catch a basic popup in the pocket like 7 out of 10 times, lets nothing get past her on the ground, always knows where to throw, and can accurately one-hop 2B from the fence is sitting the bench. Total head scratchers. I've seen it so many times.

Jul 6, 2023
Not sure why you think the team coach is going to reach out to your daughter's pitching coach. I would also point out that your pitching coach's interests are not the same as your team coach's.

Most coaches like to win and they aren't putting better players on the bench or not playing (pitching) them. Are you winning games and tournaments?
Lol. Winning in fall ball is not what we are interested in. We were told we would spend the fall developing players not winning. We have won some games and lost some games. We arent seeking plastic trophies. In my opinion nobody should be.

Jul 6, 2023
Agreed. I've seen kids put in position that they have either never played, or are completely incapable of holding down. Like still cant throw and catch consistently (middle school age) and are put at 1B. And I'm like wtf? And they're like "figured i'd give it a shot. ya never know." and it's like "Yes, I DO know. She literally can't even catch a warmup pass and you've got a kid who throws 40mph overhand playing SS."

Or an older kid who can run down a tough ball but still lets every fly ball hit her in the palm and bounce out 7 out of 10 times, can't field a line drive off the ground, has a weak arm, and doesn't usually know where to throw the ball when she comes up with it starts in the OF. Meanwhile a kid who can catch a basic popup in the pocket like 7 out of 10 times, lets nothing get past her on the ground, always knows where to throw, and can accurately one-hop 2B from the fence is sitting the bench. Total head scratchers. I've seen it so many times.
Exactly!

Jan 25, 2022
She has been in lessons for over two years. Currently twice a week with the club endorsed coach who has her with three pitches, great speed, and good command. I’m sure if our team coach would ask the pitching coach she would find out what she needs to know.

Not to sounds like the typical internet jerk, but command of three pitches in 12u is very uncommon. Command of a fastball alone puts a kid in the top 10%. If she has game command of three pitches and great speed, she should be mowing batters down like a Cub Cadet.

May 17, 2012
Lol. Winning in fall ball is not what we are interested in. We were told we would spend the fall developing players not winning. We have won some games and lost some games. We arent seeking plastic trophies. In my opinion nobody should be.

Sounds like you should find a rec league, which is what you are describing. Players are rotated based on league rules. Everyone plays infield and outfield and those that want to pitch and catch can do so. Most leagues don't give out plastic trophies anymore.

The other option is that you can do what many, many parents have done before you when they disagree with their current travel coach's philosophy and you can start your own team. It's not like some coach hasn't thought of starting a travel team based on development and not "seeking plastic trophies". Let me know how that works out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles