Colleges who CAN START RECRUITING EARLY befor D1's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 11, 2010
Hmmm P5's maybe causing their own issue developing continuity down the road???

Vs. collecting a new roster every year???

Developing a powerful program over a couple years is there anything to that versus thinking can just throw together a strong roster year after year?
Roll out the dice see how they land?
I think assuming that coaches wish to make players better is a mistake.

I think college coaches want finished players.

I think they want to make lineups and work on strategy.

ETA- This isn’t limited to P5 or D1. I know some very nice players on d3 teams who have yet to play more than a few innings.

Jun 8, 2016
Reflecting back I learned what it was like to have to earn money before I went to college. How many young people take that route nowadays?
I never had a job before college ( I rarely spent any money...)...probably why my DW pays all the bills. I didn't choose my major because of money reasons.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I think assuming that coaches wish to make players better is a mistake.

I think college coaches want finished players.

I think they want to make lineups and work on strategy.
Agree they want finished players. Do you think it matters though that they would build a program over a couple years. Or do you think they just can roll out the dice each year and it will be just as competitive?

Dec 11, 2010
or what type of school you would like to go to (big or small) or geographical region, etc. Kids change a lot from 8th grade to 11th/12th grade. I don't really see the benefit of early recruiting. The current mess (and I will take people's word that it is a mess..) has little to do with stopping that IMO..

Some parents/coaches liked it because it was an ego boost to have their 13 YO watched by some softball Illuminati..not sure that is a good reason to bring it back.
Yep!

Jun 8, 2016
I can tell you from firsthand experience that getting attention from "important" people at a young age can also mindfuc* a kid too..

Dec 11, 2010
Agree they want finished players. Do you think it matters though that they would build a program over a couple years. Or do you think they just can roll out the dice each year and it will be just as competitive?
I don’t know.

I think Patty does both well. The results are showing!

The coaches who do either/or will struggle to compete imo

Dec 11, 2010
I can tell you from firsthand experience that getting attention from "important" people at a young age can also mindfuc* a kid too..
oh yeah.

I gotta go to work! Hope y’all get this stuff settled by the time I get home!

Jun 8, 2016
I don’t know.

I think Patty does both well. The results are showing!

The coaches who do either/or will struggle to compete imo
Patty has the pick of the litter. She can recruit the best kids who are not afraid of competition within their own team and then fill in spots through the portal. The "recruiting kids who are not afraid of competition" is probably her strong suit..although she did have a former WS hero who didn't fit that bill and consequently hissy quit halfway through the year, which from what I saw from her in HS was not surprising..so even she messes up sometimes.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Patty has the pick of the litter. She can recruit the best kids who are not afraid of competition within their own team and then fill in spots through the portal. The "recruiting kids who are not afraid of competition" is probably her strong suit..although she did have a former WS hero who didn't fit that bill and consequently hissy quit halfway through the year, which from what I saw from her in HS was not surprising..so even she messes up sometimes.
How would you reflect on other College's like say UCLA who could also get the pick of the litter...
But may have a more rigid / difficult acceptance rate.

Would that then also make it easier for Patti's program?!

Jun 8, 2016
How would you reflect on other College's like say UCLA who could also get the pick of the litter...
But may have a more rigid / difficult acceptance rate.

Would that then also make it easier for Patti's program?!
If it is indeed harder to get in then of course that would negatively effect things. That said do they really have a more stringent path to acceptance at UCLA (the athletes..not the general student body) ? I think at the D1 level, the issue of getting top female athletes into a school is probably less of an issue than it is for boys/men in football/basketball. There seem to be less knucklehead top female athletes....lol. I could be wrong of course.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi