College Recruiting. Is Softball doing it wrong?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
And what does this teach our girls about commitments ? We had a stud freshman commit to a big school and just a few months ago (Senior year) was told the school no longer wants her. Great hitter and great pitcher who apparently had a so so summer on the mound. Coach didn’t even talk to her.
I heard about that! She will be scooped up pretty quickly, but yeah that sucks. That same coach decommitted 3 players last year after watching them play. Remember they were not "his" recruits. They were the previous coach's.

May 27, 2013
I agree it can be a very tough process - and I mean tough mentally. DD is also a 2021 and fell in love with a high academic program this past summer. They came out to see her play and she attended their camp and was told that day that they want her; however, they need to wait until this summer after her junior year grades and SAT scores are in to get the “academic read” as to if she could even be admitted. She has talked to the coach several times since so we know it isn’t just to string her along. Coach keeps in touch to see how she’s doing. However, it is very difficult to hold out when other offers are on the table - but at schools that aren’t quite where she sees herself academically.

Apr 16, 2013
I'll share a little that we learned...

I think that can help a lot of people. My DD has only been emailing coaches, a very select few, for about a year now. She's only been going to more than one camp for one school, her obvious #1 choice. I know she made an impression at the last camp. My biggest question is how in the hell do you know if they're really interested in you or not? My DD has emailed them and said she'd love to talk on the phone and can we set up a time? At this point 2 schools have responded directly to her update emails with a camp invite, but no one has actually said, "Hey, let's talk". If the head coach of a power house D1 replies directly to her email and sends her their camp schedule, is that a hint at anything? I know her video updates are being watched because I track them on youtube and the links are only sent to a very select few. That being said, I wish we could just get a simple, "Yes we're interested in you" vs "We appreciate your interest, but we're not interested in you".

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
I think that can help a lot of people. My DD has only been emailing coaches, a very select few, for about a year now. She's only been going to more than one camp for one school, her obvious #1 choice. I know she made an impression at the last camp. My biggest question is how in the hell do you know if they're really interested in you or not? My DD has emailed them and said she'd love to talk on the phone and can we set up a time? At this point 2 schools have responded directly to her update emails with a camp invite, but no one has actually said, "Hey, let's talk". If the head coach of a power house D1 replies directly to her email and sends her their camp schedule, is that a hint at anything? I know her video updates are being watched because I track them on youtube and the links are only sent to a very select few. That being said, I wish we could just get a simple, "Yes we're interested in you" vs "We appreciate your interest, but we're not interested in you".
Has her travel ball coach been able to jump in and help out? Sometimes having that 3rd party involved will get things moving one way or another.

Apr 16, 2013
Has her travel ball coach been able to jump in and help out? Sometimes having that 3rd party involved will get things moving one way or another.
I've been talking to him a bit. He's going to call her #1 school in a few weeks and gauge their interest. What sucks is we'll be playing LITERALLY right beside them this weekend but I don't believe they can technically watch. College/18u tournament held by my DD's org and this college will be playing on the field right next to her at the exact times she isn't playing. The coach could literally sit in the stands of her field and watch my DD play on the field next to her during the in between game sessions; but due to the NCAA D1 rules, I don't think she can. Talk about being a little ticked... that's me! My DD and I fully intend to be watching them, but I don't know if the coach can say a word to her.

Jun 8, 2016
I've been talking to him a bit. He's going to call her #1 school in a few weeks and gauge their interest. What sucks is we'll be playing LITERALLY right beside them this weekend but I don't believe they can technically watch. College/18u tournament held by my DD's org and this college will be playing on the field right next to her at the exact times she isn't playing. The coach could literally sit in the stands of her field and watch my DD play on the field next to her during the in between game sessions; but due to the NCAA D1 rules, I don't think she can. Talk about being a little ticked... that's me! My DD and I fully intend to be watching them, but I don't know if the coach can say a word to her.
They can watch a 10 YO if they want to (not sure why they would want to though unless they wanted to make themselves feel better about their team..LOL!!), they just cannot communicate interest in them from what I understand.

I mean my DD's 12U team had a camp at Oklahoma State a few weeks back and the HC was on the field talking to, and instructing, kids for 3 or 4 innings of their 2 games. Heck the HC even told DD's HC that he liked the way a few girls (and named them) on the team played (hmm sounds like a violation to me :LOL:) Cannot see how that is any different than sitting in the stands and watching..but of course I could be 100% wrong.. ;) .

Last edited:
Apr 16, 2013
They can watch a 10 YO if they want to (not sure why they would want to though unless they wanted to make themselves feel better about their team..LOL!!), they just cannot communicate interest in them from what I understand. I mean my DD's 12U team had a camp at Oklahoma State a few weeks back and the HC was on the field talking to, and instructing, kids for 3 or 4 innings of their 2 games. Cannot see how that is any different than sitting in the stands and watching..but of course I could be 100% wrong.. ;) .
If you're attending a camp at their facility, they can talk to you a lot. If you're under a 2021 they can't say anything about recruiting. However, they can't watch or attend your events, as a D1, until Oct 19/20. They can only be in attendance on Sat/Sun and that's through the weekend before T-giving. Of course I have no idea how that muddies the waters with them being at a tournament hosted by the same org with them playing literally 50 feet from where my DD is playing. Honestly it's still confusing a hell to me: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/co...lendar/2019-20D1REC_WSBRecruitingCalendar.pdf

Jun 8, 2016
If you're attending a camp at their facility, they can talk to you a lot. If you're under a 2021 they can't say anything about recruiting. However, they can't watch or attend your events, as a D1, until Oct 19/20. They can only be in attendance on Sat/Sun and that's through the weekend before T-giving. Of course I have no idea how that muddies the waters with them being at a tournament hosted by the same org with them playing literally 50 feet from where my DD is playing. Honestly it's still confusing a hell to me: https://ncaaorg.s3.amazonaws.com/co...lendar/2019-20D1REC_WSBRecruitingCalendar.pdf
Ok so I was talking out of my rear :LOL: Not the 1st time, my apologies :)

Apr 16, 2013
Ok so I was talking out of my rear :LOL: Not the 1st time, my apologies :)
Your posts make as much sense to me as someone trying to explain the calendar. I still don't understand if they're (the college) playing in a tournament (or scrimmage, whatever) somewhere why they couldn't turn around and watch a potential recruit playing in the same tournament... just under a different ruleset. Soooo damn confused. But holy cow, that's the best scenario for a college coach. You're already RIGHT THERE!

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Is it on their campus? or a field complex with a mix of TB teams and college teams doing round robins?

I am currently looking at a non institutional camp being held tomorrow night (Friday) that one of my players will be attending and "allegedly" there are going to be a couple of D1 coaches working the camp. I was under the impression that was not allowable.

Any DFP'ers know what's up?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi