Colleges who CAN START RECRUITING EARLY befor D1's

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
I doubt ending early recruiting has caused all of the ailments mentioned in this thread because in reality the kids who were going to be officially recruited early before are still being recruited just not officially anymore...
Think what change of early recruitment did was extend the time on a waiting list for players that were not already first in line.

Being that the recruitment time frame is at an older age now...
Do agree that players who are first in line to be recruited will still get those first opportunities. But that means that other players have to wait even longer to get their chance to have those conversations. Because the second choice players have to wait for the confirmation of those 1st choice conversations that are starting later in junior year.

Which puts the D2 and D3 schools in a better position to proactively have recruitment conversations. Because they can still have early conversations.

Jun 8, 2016
Also the portal stuff is not surprising. In many cases it isn't any different than TB players in today's world moving after every season to seek a "better opportunity".. A lot times kids are on TB teams for the wrong reason just like they go to a college for the wrong reason..

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Also the portal stuff is not surprising. In many cases it isn't any different than TB players in today's world moving after every season to seek a "better opportunity".. A lot times kids are on TB teams for the wrong reason just like they go to a college for the wrong reason..
Yes and it's bizarre how people have found it common place to shuffle even if it's attached to academics like college.

Dec 11, 2010
I doubt ending early recruiting has caused all of the ailments mentioned in this thread because in reality the kids who were going to be officially recruited early before are still being recruited just not officially anymore...

Agree somewhat.

I think it’s a much smaller percentage though, and I think the P5 coaches also are spending a lot of time at keeping their own players and recruiting players from the portal.

Until there are no longer 5th years, there will be less attention below 16’s but that will probably return eventually. (Even though the coaches claim to be against early recruiting and voted against it.)

Jun 8, 2016
Think what change of early recruitment did was extend the time on a waiting list for players that were not already first in line.

Being that the recruitment time frame is at an older age now...
Do agree that players who are first in line to be recruited will still get those first opportunities. But that means that other players have to wait even longer to get their chance to have those conversations. Because the second choice players have to wait for the confirmation of those 1st choice conversations that are starting later in junior year.

Which puts the D2 and D3 schools in a better position to proactively have recruitment conversations. Because they can still have early conversations.
How the heck can you choose where you want to go to college before you have any idea of what you want to do after college?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
Agree somewhat.

I think it’s a much smaller percentage though, and I think the P5’s also are having to work much harder at keeping their own players and recruiting from the portal.

Until there are no longer 5th years, there will be less attention below 16’s but that will probably return eventually. (Even though the coaches claim to be against early recruiting and voted against it.)
Hmmm P5's maybe causing their own issue developing continuity down the road???

Vs. collecting a new roster every year???

Developing a powerful program over a couple years is there anything to that versus thinking can just throw together a strong roster year after year?
Roll out the dice see how they land?

radness

Dec 13, 2019
How the heck can you choose where you want to go to college before you have any idea of what you want to do after college?
Good question what's the percentage of any college student that knows exactly what they want to do when they sign up for college?
That said
Within D1 schools there are many schools that have similar concentration of academic degrees. It would be easy to transfer every year and end up with the same degree.

Jun 8, 2016
Good question what's the percentage of any college student that knows exactly what they want to do when they sign up for college?
That said
Within D1 schools there are many schools that have similar concentration of academic degrees. It would be easy to transfer every year and end up with the same degree.
or what type of school you would like to go to (big or small) or geographical region, etc. Kids change a lot from 8th grade to 11th/12th grade. I don't really see the benefit of early recruiting. The current mess (and I will take people's word that it is a mess..) has little to do with stopping that IMO..

Some parents/coaches liked it because it was an ego boost to have their 13 YO watched by some softball Illuminati..not sure that is a good reason to bring it back.

Last edited:

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
Me to every single client who walks through my door, "What do you want to study in college?" Every student athlete: "I want to play XYZ sport." Me: "That's great, but what do you want to do in the real world after graduation?" Blank stares...

radness

Dec 13, 2019
'What do you want to do when...'
For that matter
'Where do you want to live'
might be important first because the cost of living could be a critical Factor.

What should come first
the understanding of money?
Or what we want to do to earn it?

Reflecting back I learned what it was like to have to earn money before I went to college. How many young people take that route nowadays?

Jobs befor college learn a valuable lesson about money.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi