Annoyed

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

collinspc

Softball Dad
Apr 23, 2014
Pittsburgh PA
I only use Dicks as a source for DD to try on sports shoes. She is in a man size 9 and likes the mens shoes better for the added width. We go to Dicks, try the shoes on and then I order online from who ever is the least expensive. We saved 60 dollars on her Nike basketball shoes that way.

Oct 22, 2009
I have been complaining about the same issue! My daughters like a mid cleat, especially the oldest because she has ankle issues. We have to buy her men's cleats. My youngest also likes the mid. The most recent pair we bought were actually football cleats - we didn't realize it at the time. My other issue is WHY do all girls cleats have pink? My youngest is a girly girl, but HATES pink!

My husband was watching a show the other day on how the very first baseball glove came into existence.

It was because of softball. (I know there will be a dispute saying that baseball players used the first mitts, but this particular show said otherwise, so who knows?)

Pitchers basically threw BP and the catcher stood way back to catch it on the bounce. But one pitcher decided to put a little spin on his pitches, but the bounce kept getting away from the catcher, so he instructed the catcher to scoot up and catch it before the bounce.
The catchers hands were being torn up so he modified a pair of work gloves to use to catch.
Like this;
workman2.jpg
He commented on what a long way we've come with mitts over the years and I said, and yup, now they are pink. He said NO WAY!, I said oh, yes, PINK PINK PINK.
pink glove.jpg

Feb 15, 2013
Delaware
This post was needed lol. I was at Dick's yesterday picking up a mouth piece and some head bands to keep the ears warm for the early spring late winter weather we are having along with a few more pairs of UA pants for me. I have been debating on what type of glove to get my DD and we went over to look at the Nokona gloves. I asked an associate if they had any "new" ones in the back and of course I was told the one on the shelf was new. I laughed he didn't and off to the back he went. The guy comes out with a 12.5 inch rawlings instead of the 12 inch nokona. He says I know it's not the same size but the quality is the same. I'm not going to say Rawlings makes an inferior glove but this particular model was not made from any animal on earth and you could tell. I said no thank you and he stated that this is his best selling fastpitch model (it's there only FP glove).

The previous stop I made at Dick's was for some lineup cards and I always look at bats in hopes they price a CF7 a little low. You know like the $40 ones. Well I see that the CF7 is hanging in the slow pitch section and I ask the guy if it is a slowpitch or a fastpitch bat and the response was well it's hanging in the slowpitch so it must be slowpitch. This was definitely the fastpitch CF7. It's comical that they sell these items like they are the one and only location and no one knows more than them.

Dec 7, 2011
We were at Dick's Sporting Goods today and went over to look at cleats. They had them labeled as Women's Baseball. It left me feeling slightly annoyed. It's called fastpitch, morons!

It is annoying that's for sure but I would wager that it is labelled "baseball" to benefit the average dullard that works at these stores. Like soccer/basketball I bet their systems just have sub categories for boys/girls of each. I bet you that it was studied inside Dicks that if they call it baseball-girls the dullards in their organizations would not get things wrong as much.

Now before you go attacking me for being challenging to these folks working in these stores know that I mostly blame management of these box stores. Their standards for product knowledge in employees is next to "zero". You just need to know the difference between a shoe and a sock and you got the job (I say this given the number of times I have stormed out of each of these box stores due to the disgusting lack of just minimal product knowlege). It is apparent that the criteria for working at these stores is based on how fast you can snow somebody into buying an extra protection package for your pair of socks.......

Apr 1, 2010
I only use Dicks as a source for DD to try on sports shoes. She is in a man size 9 and likes the mens shoes better for the added width. We go to Dicks, try the shoes on and then I order online from who ever is the least expensive. We saved 60 dollars on her Nike basketball shoes that way.

Mine is a men's size 8 and wants the extra width too, so we're happy with men's cleats. Not so good for the girls who need smaller or narrower cleats though!

Me_and_my_big_mouth

witty softball quote
Sep 11, 2014
Pacific NW
My other issue is WHY do all girls cleats have pink? My youngest is a girly girl, but HATES pink!

Mine hates pink, too! We are sold on Ringor, hands-down. Stopped in to the store few weeks ago, and they didn't have what we wanted in stock. Ok, no problem. Ordered turf shoes with pitching toe, told they'd be delivered in a week, two at the most. Get a notification from Ringor that the turf shoes would be late arriving, back-ordered. I called and told them that she had several games in the interim and they're on turf - and she literally destroyed her old ones in San Diego last month. What to do? Was there any way we could get some other color or anything? They said no, so sorry - nothing in stock, pitching toes are special order. Two days later, my doorbell rings - package from Ringor. It's a pair of standard turf shoes, no pitching toe, with a note that says "Hope this gets her through the next couple of weeks until hers arrive."

That kind of customer service - and an understanding of the sport of women's fastpitch - is why I won't buy another pair of crappy cleats from Dicks, Sports Authority, etc. We spent too much $ on something that didn't last as long, from people who didn't care as much. These folks understand the sport, the girls, and apparently - the parents. After being treated like that? Just shut up and take my money . . . :)

And Ringors aren't pink, unless you want them pink. :)

May 6, 2014
Low and outside
14-y/o DD wears boys' (men's?) Under Armour mids because she didn't like the colors available in the girls' cleats. IME a lot of the men's/boys' cleats run narrow anyway, especially Nike.

I worked for several years with Rack Room Shoes (the best people that I have ever worked for) and as a store manager I encountered this problem almost daily. This was especially true in basketball crazy Kentucky.
For us it was a matter of the manufacturers actually making female specific products. At the time (and apparently still) few manufacturers will make the effort to produce female specific fitments in anything other than running shoes. The only way to deal with it was making sure our sales associates understood which men's basketball shoes ran narrow or wide and know how to calculate the size difference. BTW for most brands (in terms of length) add 1.5 to the men's size to get the approximate women's size. However, the width was still a D, which is a medium for men, but a wide for ladies.
As a Dad of three girls, we never really consider any brand except Ringor. Thankfully, Ringor produces a few men's models as well!
I don't want to get started on Nike, UA, etc.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I have bought stuff at Dick's in the past, and probably will in the future. Sometimes we have a discount coupon. Sometimes we need something right away.

That being said, we also often buy stuff at MC Sports or at Badger Sporting Goods. Badger often has some of the more esoteric stuff the others don't have, but it is really out of the way and it isn't open evenings or Sundays.

OTOH, I once brought in DD #3 to Badger to get some pitching stuff the others stores in town didn't carry. The guy at the store mentioned HIS DD was a pitcher at a nearby HS, and he gave us a really good deal to help out a young pitcher.

Jul 19, 2014
Madison, WI
I don't like seeing Dick's Sporting Goods compared to Best Buy, at least not in this neck of the woods.

I really regret that I never filed suit against Best Buy for violations of the Wisconsin Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aclee4414