Bucket catcher - Mizuno MVP Prime 34 inch baseball catcher's mitt - a valid not break the bank option

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jul 23, 2023
I had been at the point of needing to get a catcher's mitt for catching my 2 pitchers. I did not want to spend a lot, as funds seem to go more toward them these days (I seem to remember getting one used bat every few years, somehow they carry 3...).

My search criterion - enough room for a hand, good padding/support, budget conscious, and a good sound when catching. I looked at probably too many options, and went with the Mizuno Prime MVP 34 inch Baseball Mitt. I was able to get one for under $100, so deals are out there. I've been using it for about a month, and can say this is a valid option. It was extremely easy to break in, within 2 days I was on my catching with it. Plenty of room to break in to get a deep pocket for a 12 inch ball, even though it's a baseball mitt. Padding helps a ton, something I feel a fastpitch mitt would be missing. Fits an adult hand. And most importantly for them, has a tremendous pop.

Thought I'd leave this review as this site tremendously helps me.

LEsoftballdad

DFP Vendor
Jun 29, 2021
NY
I use the Rawling Heart of The Hide 34" Jadier Molina mitt to catch my daughter. You have to break them in with a softball to get the pocket to form correctly. They're a great alternative to a fastpitch mitt as long as you do that.

Jun 18, 2023
Neither for lefties of course. I think I might just teach myself to throw right-handed (at least as far as the pitcher).

Oct 4, 2018
If you're in it for the long haul (which is often hard to know), get the best one you can. I'm a decent catcher, but with my last (not so great catcher mitt) I would get stingers, jammed thumb, and serious index finger pain when I didn't catch the ball in the pocket or web.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles