12yo Swing Insight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 3, 2014
A simple cue that will help train the hitter to transfer the energy from the hips through the torso to the shoulders and down through arms is - have the belly button lead the chest. This hitter is leading with her chest.

This doesn't mean the belly button rotates. It leads. Rotation will take of itself.

Aug 15, 2014
You're wrong. She is slicing across the ball, not through it. Watch this video and listen to Myers talk about the type of ball flight he looks to achieve.

[video]http://m.mlb.com/video/v28107685/harold-interviews-wil-myers-in-this-diamond-demo[/video]

btw, not beating you up. This is a great learning moment.

I know her hands are not ideally getting through contact, I have pointed it out several times

Myers swings it a lot like I teach
Down and through contact, no lift in his stroke ...a lot more flatter path
Backdspin creates carry/distance

May 3, 2014
One more simple cue to improve sequence -

Try and keep the front hip lower than the back hip as the front leg cocks and strides out. This hitter's front hip is elevating above the rear hip setting up the chest to lead. Why? As the front hip elevates above the rear hip - the front hip then has to open early to get the swing around and the chest soon follows. If the front hip didn't open from the elevated position - the front leg would land and block. IMHO

Aug 15, 2014
I already pointed out what I thought she needed to workon

Energy transfer is not one, her hand position and extension

Please quit beating this horse.

Look at the barrel
One frame it's behind her shoulder? Next frame it's at contact

If that's not delivering energy , I don't know what it.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
You asked for a vid of a swing I liked , look back to post #9
Post #9 This is what I asked in bold:
Quote Originally Posted by Northtexasfury View Post
At contact or just after, the head an upper half is moving back..
I like to teach , neutral to load ( negative) to contact (moving positive )and finish going forward
Deliver energy down range
Can you post an example of a hitter or point me to a hitter that....
neutral to load ( negative) to contact (moving positive )and finish going forward
Deliver energy down range
Like to see what you teach.
Thanks.
Then you posted the 11 yr old hitter and well........

May 24, 2013
So Cal
Here is a quick video from this past weekend of my 12yo DD hitting. Any insight would be appreciated.
2014 09 13KateHittingCC - YouTube

(Sorry about the color/resolution, this is from contour... I didn't have my good cameras with me this day.)

Back to the original topic...

From what I'm seeing, this hitter isn't far away from being in a very good pattern. I'm seeing her hands getting disconnected (moving away) from her rear shoulder too early, resulting in too much of an arm-powered swing with a wide bat arc and a too long of a hand path. Get her using her hands properly, with a tight hand pivot of the barrel, and she'll be heading in a better direction.

I've had some luck teaching young hitters about understanding (feeling!) top hand swivel with drills based on what is shown here...

My focus for the hitter is the top hand swivel while maintaining a hand position close to the rear shoulder ("power V" in rear arm).

This is a great example of the barrel pivoting around the hands as they move with the rear shoulder, and a short hand-path to contact with the hands moving out from the rear shoulder rather than looping around the body...
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simonet