12yo Swing Insight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
The OP asked about his 12yr old, not the 11yr old I posted .. RDB asked about a swing I liked.

Yes, but in supporting the 11yo swing that you liked, with an energy transfer issue, you stated the following.

Every back elbow will pause or stall at extension.. Otherwise the hands would never get ahead of it

Are you retracting that? If not, can you please highlight the "elbow stall" in the above clip of Hamilton?

Aug 15, 2014
At this point, none, but they're closer than they were before. In reality, none of them may ever get all of the way there (remember that the MLB'ers we're talking about are athletic freaks of nature), but I believe in using the best possible model as a target to shoot for. Even if we come up a bit short, we're still on a path of success.

So everybody should have the same swing, pitching mechanics, golf swing only modeled after the best player in that sport?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
These are a few of the hitters I use as models/templates...
Miguel Cabrera (poetry!)
Cabrera_hands_side.gif

NTF .... where is the elbow stall in this swing clip?

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
So everybody should have the same swing, pitching mechanics, golf swing only modeled after the best player in that sport?

EricF is commenting that there are a commonality of features amongst the best hitters.

You on the other hand are commenting that “Every back elbow will pause or stall”. Please highlight the "elbow stall" in the swings shown on this page, and the prior page, of the thread.

Aug 15, 2014
NTF .... where is the elbow stall in this swing clip?

It happens as the back elbow gets to 6-7 o'clock , then the hands attack to contact and full extension

Cabrera starts elbow high, way ahead of hands

Fires back elbow to 6-7 and then the hands take over to extension

Last edited:
May 24, 2013
So Cal

Not "player", singular. PlayerS. Look at someone who is doing something at the top of the game - in this case, hitting a ball with a stick. See what they are doing that is in common with others who are at the same or similar level. There are variations in style, but there are also absolutes that are common in all of them. It's the absolutes that are critical.

If you want to continue doing what you do, that's fine. Have at it. Understand, however, that advice given in a discussion forum format will be challenged. We've all been challenged, and we've learned, and been challenged, and learned some more.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sbcoach26