12yo Swing Insight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Not really sure how you can say that's "example of poor energy transfer"

How many 11yr olds can hit with enough energy to get the back foot off the ground

Unreal, but I guess you don't ever agree with anyone on here

NTF, there is no need for diversionary tactics. Let’s stick to the topic of hitting and we’ll get more accomplished.

I explained in the earlier post why this was an example of poor energy transfer. Note the elbow stall and lack of extension.

2zspjea.gif

It’s one thing to generate energy, it’s another thing to transfer energy efficiently to the barrel, which is not happening well in the example you provided. Your example is more an example of inefficient energy transfer.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
My comment is for the gif only. I can not view youtube video at this moment.
2zspjea.gif

Not 'picking' on the hitter but, standing on the front leg and spinning is just as bad as spinning on the rear leg.
This hitter 'spins around' her body after her leveling bat to the ball on the tee. JMHO.
Jen Yee looks a little different:
YeeKickDrill.gif

It also struck me as odd that the kid was leveling her bat ... despite using a Tanner Tee. She may lack an understanding of a diagonal barrel path. It's possible that this girl's mental image of an ideal swing may be contributing to her inefficiency issues.

Aug 15, 2014
Her exit velo is 61mph

How is she getting that ?
Most girls are 8-10 mph slower

Every back elbow will pause or stall at extension.. Otherwise the hands would never get ahead of it

Aug 15, 2014
It also struck me as odd that the kid was leveling her bat ... despite using a Tanner Tee. She may lack an understanding of a diagonal barrel path. It's possible that this girl's mental image of an ideal swing may be contributing to her inefficiency issues.

Look at the bat path of these two hitters , which one is in the impact zone the longest ? Yep, the 11yr old

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Her exit velo is 61mph

How is she getting that ?
Most girls are 8-10 mph slower

She is not getting it through efficient energy transfer.

Your logic would have someone maintaining a 'bat drag' infected swing. After all, a 'bat drag' ridden swing can generate sufficient bat speed ..... and drive the ball far ..... yet it is a swing mechanic that won't scale to the higher levels of play.

Aug 15, 2014
She is not getting it through efficient energy transfer.

Your logic would have someone maintaining a 'bat drag' infected swing. After all, a 'bat drag' ridden swing can generate sufficient bat speed ..... and drive the ball far ..... yet it is a swing mechanic that won't scale to the higher levels of play.

It's bat lag, not bat drag....... Hold that power angle in relation the the back arm, release the barrel to contact

Never does her bat drag

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Look at the bat path of these two hitters , which one is in the impact zone the longest ? Yep, the 11yr old

RDB tried to explain this to you when he was describing this girl’s “around” type swing.

Her inefficiencies are partly to blame for why her barrel quickly departs from the ball path post contactl. In the very frame where we see the ball blurring off the bat, the bat is already taking a hard left.

14sika8.gif

tjintx

A real searcher
May 27, 2012
TEXAS

HOLD IT HOLD IT HOLD IT.....NTF, look at your GIF. Follow the direction of the hands as they relate to the hitter's body.. Do you see how the hands/barrel follow the body around and then to the left towards the trophy case? That is not being in the zone long. That is getting into and out of the zone quickly. Her hands/arms are connected to Her bodies rotation so She can't extend through contact(note the rear elbow is stuck to Her ribcage).... Let's keep it civil and let's keep it real. NTF you may need to break the DFP language barrier so we can understand what you mean and vice versa.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
It's bat lag, not bat drag....... Hold that power angle in relation the the back arm, release the barrel to contact

Never does her bat drag

No, I specifically gave an example of how your logic could be used to favor the encouragement of 'bat drag'. Something that I hope readers here understand would be a flawed approach.

I never said this girl dragged the barrel. I said she has a energy transfer issue ..... and I stated that because it is true. Your reasoning for maintaining such an energy transfer inefficiency is similar to maintaining a 'bat drag' inefficiency ... IMO such issues should be addressed.

Can you give a reason for why you wouldn't want this girl's energy transfer inefficiency addressed? I mean, I know she isn't your hitter, but why would you wish such an inefficiency on others?

Aug 15, 2014
HOLD IT HOLD IT HOLD IT.....NTF, look at your GIF. Follow the direction of the hands as they relate to the hitter's body.. Do you see how the hands/barrel follow the body around and then to the left towards the trophy case? That is not being in the zone long. That is getting into and out of the zone quickly. Her hands/arms are connected to Her bodies rotation so She can't extend through contact(note the rear elbow is stuck to Her ribcage).... Let's keep it civil and let's keep it real. NTF you may need to break the DFP language barrier so we can understand what you mean and vice versa.

Yes, I know that she does not have the ideal extension at contact. I see her faults, but delivering energy to contact is not one of them..

Also the vid is the last 30% of the swing. She does a nice job getting loaded and delivering energy. Is it a perfect swing in my mind, no. That why I said she is on the right path...hers would be easier to correct her issues than most .
Not sure of these terms u all use "gif" "dfp"

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish