12yo Swing Insight

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 15, 2014
I agree that there should be some forward energy that is missing here. Perhaps the 'kickback' she's getting is a symptom of that. Not sure what you mean by 'finish going forward.' What I see in elite hitters is that the the head moves forward until the front foot comes down and the swing is initiated.. At that point, the torso rotates around an axis drawn from head to front foot. That axis is not going forward, and might move back after contact.

DSC 0522 - YouTube

Not my student, but she is on the right path
Nice load and all forward movement till contact,slight pause at contact and finish
Young lady is delivering energy, not a sit and spinner

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
DSC 0522 - YouTube

Nice load and all forward movement till contact,slight pause at contact and finish

Lot of good stuff in that swing, and she's definitely not a spinner. I would just question whether she should be hitting on a firmer front side and not having the torso/head continuing to go forward after toe touch/heel plant. From the side, she looks more like ''K'' than ''\'' if that makes sense. Also, I see some things in her style (very open landing foot, pronounced 'ground gain' of back foot) that make me suspect I know her hitting coach.

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
DSC 0522 - YouTube

IMO the rear elbow stall, along with the poor release and lack of resulting extension, is more an indication of inefficient energy transfer to the barrel.

2zspjea.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
RDB, the example given is an example of poor energy transfer.

In a good swing there can be segments that give the appearance of a pause as energy is transferred. That said, NTF has not been specific enough to confirm if he is on the right track or not ..... and the example that he gives shows a rear elbow pause, which would be the wrong body segment to have an appearance of pausing.

Aug 15, 2014
Can you explain that further? Pause at contact.

Why not deliver energy and finish.

Not saying her actions are perfect, just on the right path on delivering energy

Pause may not be the right word
More of the barrel to ball reaction the stalls the energy

Aug 15, 2014
RDB, the example given is an example of poor energy transfer.

In a good swing there can be segments that give the appearance of a pause as energy is transferred. That said, NTF has not been specific enough to confirm if he is on the right track or not ..... and the example that he gives shows a rear elbow pause, which would be the wrong body segment to have an appearance of pausing.

Not really sure how you can say that's "example of poor energy transfer"

How many 11yr olds can hit with enough energy to get the back foot off the ground

Unreal, but I guess you don't ever agree with anyone on here

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
My comment is for the gif only. I can not view youtube video at this moment.
2zspjea.gif

How many 11yr olds can hit with enough energy to get the back foot off the ground
Not 'picking' on the hitter but, standing on the front leg and spinning is just as bad as spinning on the rear leg.
This hitter 'spins around' her body after her leveling bat to the ball on the tee. JMHO.
Jen Yee looks a little different:
YeeKickDrill.gif

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish