1 and 1 count for a showcase?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Mar 26, 2013
I like the advanced count. It speeds up the game and the #1 priority is being seen by college coaches. We will also skip warm ups between innings to maximize the innings we get to play. Pitchers get one pitch and down, play ball.
A lot of college coaches pay close attention to fielders in warm-ups because a ball may not get hit to them. Teams should be quick about it (max 1 minute) and players should show their best.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
Not sure if the goals of the 1-1 count are being realized.

Yes, you get more at-bats, but you don't get more pitches. In fact, you might get fewer pitches because you might play 6 innings instead of 4, which means more time spent between innings. More at-bats does lead to more fielding opportunities, but the 1-1 count also might lead to more walks and strikeouts, which means fewer fielding opportunities.

Instead of 1-1 counts, I might focus on other time-savers, like limited number of warmup pitches, no stepping out of the batters box, fewer timeouts, less time between pitches. If it's a showcase, batters don't need to be pausing between every pitch to get signals. Get in there and hit.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
A lot of college coaches pay close attention to fielders in warm-ups because a ball may not get hit to them. Teams should be quick about it (max 1 minute) and players should show their best.

If a college coach wants to watch a player warm-up I recommend getting there before the game starts...

MTR

Jun 22, 2008
I don't have a problem with a 1-1 count. I just question whether it really produces more action.

It should. The only people who should have a problem with an abbreviated count are weak hitters and pitchers.

The purpose of the 1-1 count in SP was not meant to speed up the game, but to facilitate more offense. In turn, the more the ball is put into play, the more opportunities the defense has to execute an out. If you have two good performers, it makes for a great game. If two teams are not close in talent, it may cause a run rule to come into effect. I don't see why it would be any different.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
It should. The only people who should have a problem with an abbreviated count are weak hitters and pitchers.

The purpose of the 1-1 count in SP was not meant to speed up the game, but to facilitate more offense. In turn, the more the ball is put into play, the more opportunities the defense has to execute an out. If you have two good performers, it makes for a great game. If two teams are not close in talent, it may cause a run rule to come into effect. I don't see why it would be any different.

Not sure why a pitcher would be upset with a 1-1 count...they are still ahead!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00