Showcase Events - rules and etiquette for parents

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 4, 2018
Headed to our first "real" showcase event next week. From reading here, I know:

1. Don't sit behind backstop - this area is for coaches
2. Don't be a bad/annoying parent

Outside of those, what else? I mean can you chit chat with the coaches, or should you really steer clear?

Can my daughter talk to them? Should she talk to them?

Oct 4, 2018
She's not old enough yet. Are you playing 14U? If so, you won't see many coaches unless there's an absolute stud who's already on their radar. I take a page from Pattar's book and watch from the next county over.

We actually have coaches coming to watch our org. A private event. While they're there to see the older girls, they will most definitely be seeing our 14U girls.

However, my question isn't necessarily for just this year. Curious about the answers for future years.

Dec 2, 2013
Texas
Do not talk to the coaches unless you are the Team Recruiter. Highly unlikely a coach will approach your DD at this point.

Keep your mouth shut unless it's positive cheering. Stay away from the dugout and stay give adequate room to access your team profiles.

If a coach actually shows up, does your team recruiter know which school each player has been emailing? If not, you better give them an update so they know which player to promote to each coach.

ETA: Future Conversations with the coach might happen after your DD's last game of the day. EX. A coach wants to talk to your DD. Team recruiter grabs DD after the game. Hopefully, recruiter tells you. DD should talk to coach alone, unless coach invites parent over to chat. Usually DD will get your attention and beckon you over. Otherwise, let DD handle it and relay info.

Jan 22, 2011
Parents don't talk to the coaches. You would be distracting them from watching your team. There should be a team staff member or parent designated to make sure they get a copy of the team player info sheet and ask them what type of or which player they are looking for and if they want to talk to the head coach. What many coaches don't realize as they start showcasing their job is to get their players recruited, not to win the games.

Your players need to be sending highlight videos and emails to coaches at schools they are interested in for weeks, if not months before showcase season starts. Then sending the schedule to the coaches as soon as the schedule comes out.

There is a good book on recruiting www.lookingforafullride.com and an associated facebook page "Educating Parents of HS Athletes On The College Recruiting Process" with a lot of good information.

Jun 8, 2016
We actually have coaches coming to watch our org. A private event. While they're there to see the older girls, they will most definitely be seeing our 14U girls.
Org workout in CO? In that case stay in the car..I am dropping mine off at hers and finding a coffee shop..no need to be a helicopter parent. If you want to socialize with the other parents (no idea why....) tell them all to go to the coffee shop with you (just make sure it isn't the one I am at..).

Last year DD's team actually practiced in CO..I would have rather they done that than this org workout.

Last edited:
May 27, 2013
Definitely do not call out to the umpires about a questionable call.

Cheer for all of your team’s players, not just your own dd.

Oct 2, 2015
What many coaches don't realize as they start showcasing their job is to get their players recruited, not to win the games.
One of the best coaches in our area doesn't even coach his team during showcases. He has assistants do that so he can stand behind home plate with the recruiters to talk up the players. This is the most important job, why leave that to a parent/volunteer?

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kbeagles