your thoughts on a rundown

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 22, 2008
NW Pennsylvania
I would like your thoughts on always trying to make the rundown happen at the lowest possible base. my feelings are that if , for instance, a pitcher catches a runner off base during a play, that she should force the runner back tward the lesser base, and try to make a 1 throw putout. However, say in the event of a successful pickoff play, where the runner is caught dead to rights, but is not trying to get bck to the lesser base, ...lets use first for example, would you have the 1b throw ahead of the runner in hope of forcing her back to 1b, which would make 2 throws nessecary, & probably cost you the chance for a putout, or would you have the 1b aggressively try to run the runner down for a 1 throw putout chance at second. These are 12 & 14 under girls & I am looking for a general rule, not something they will have to do a lot of thinking about-ie inning, score, etc.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
Assuming the girls can actually throw and catch, and the runner has committed to second, I'd prefer to have 1B throw down to second...and have the SS chase the runner back to first

Dec 28, 2008
I like to have girls make 1 throw and get the out. The person with the ball chases, the basemen with the approaching run has the responsibility to judge how close the approaching runner is and shoult "NOW". At that point the fielder who is chasing throws the ball like a dart, and the fielder should catch and make the tag without any further run down. Obviously that has to be practiced a lot, so that all fielders can throw a dart while running, and all fielders know how to move and provide a target based on the path of the runner, judge speed of approaching runners and the speed with which the approaching fielder can throw.

Simo

Former High School Coach
May 26, 2008
Dunkerton Iowa
I would add just a couple more hints. I have the girl with the ball hold it in their hand (visible to the runner) in the air cocked and ready to throw. The throw should be a quick flip as opposed to a wind up. The girl with the ball should also run outside the runner to keep from hitting her with the flip (it is frustrating to hit a girl in the helmet and watch a sure out turn into a two base error). Often times the pitcher starts things. I have her run at the girl caught on the basepaths in a slight curve to force her back to the base that she came from. She should run very quickly and not trot over. Make the girl on the base panic and have to run back to the base. If she stands there like a deer in headlights (often happens if you do it correctly) tag her. If not, execute with ONE throw. In all cases the rest of the team has to mobilize and back up the play. The more back up the better. And finally, practice practice practice until they really have it automatically. I would use my speediest and most crafty runners to demonstrate the drill. I did not get into how the thrower changes places with the receiver if you need more than one throw (shouldnt happen, but we are dealing with kids here, not professionals). i. e. the thrower becomes the next receiver should it be necessary and the receiver becomes the thrower.

Aug 2, 2008
IMO, put Simo and Druers posts together and you just about have it. At 12-u and younger teaching kids to use the baserunners momentum to our advantage is tough. The only way is to have them run it every practice as part of a warm up. We start walking, then jogging, them running, then add baserunners. IMO the 2 most important parts are, #1 get the baserunner running, #2 receiver meets the ball on the move and usually the base runner can't change directions quick enough. Also we have the receiver adjust to the throwers throwing lane.

Mike

Jun 26, 2008
Vermont
I teach to hold the ball up and move at the baserunner assertively - but not at full speed. If the fielder is running, she will likely get caught throwing between strides instead of being in position to throw accurately and at the right time. I also teach to watch the runner and fake throws while holding the ball up - if you see the runner stop on the fake, THEN you go full speed and tag the runner - without making any throws. I was always slow afoot - and used to catch speedy baserunners all the time. Boy do they have a hard time believing you caught them!
The key is to teach the fielder to be in full control. If the runner turns her back on you and runs, you are no longer in control.
Most common mistakes are:
- throwing too late (this is where hitting the runner with the throw usually happens)
- throwing too early (panic ... fielder is not in control)
- fielder being thrown to is not in position (teach them to be AT the base - that's where the runner is going)

Also use practice time as an opportunity to teach baserunners what to do. When to "make a run for it" and when to dance. At higher levels I teach if a fielder without the ball is in the baseline, the runner should make sure to bump into that fielder - not hard as we never want to hurt anyone - but to brush them - ideally run right into them, stopping just at contact. That constitutes obstruction and the runner should be awarded the base. If the runner chooses to run around the fielder, that is not obstruction. Odd rule - punishes the runner for avoiding contact - but when coming into a base, the runner is punished for NOT avoiding contact. I always thought the rule should be changed to reward the runner for avoiding the contact in the baseline and "punish" the out-of-position fielder.

Jan 15, 2009
At higher levels I teach if a fielder without the ball is in the baseline, the runner should make sure to bump into that fielder - not hard as we never want to hurt anyone - but to brush them - ideally run right into them, stopping just at contact. That constitutes obstruction and the runner should be awarded the base. If the runner chooses to run around the fielder, that is not obstruction. Odd rule - punishes the runner for avoiding contact - but when coming into a base, the runner is punished for NOT avoiding contact. I always thought the rule should be changed to reward the runner for avoiding the contact in the baseline and "punish" the out-of-position fielder.

That's not the obstruction rule, it may have been applied wrong or explained poorly to you. For it to be obstruction the runner has to be "impeded" by the defense. Impeding can be contact or having to run around a fielder, if runner is judged to have deviated her path to create contact with a defender, that's not impeding. Coaching a kid to "get" an obstruction call is IMO not a good idea. Coach them to make the right play and if obstruction happens expect to get the right call from the umpire and discuss it with blue if you don't.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Southpaw32