Young, little girl bat help needed.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 21, 2012
My DD is 6 years old playing 8U machine pitch also. I bought her a Lisa Fernandez bat made by Combat 27 inch 15 oz. She loves it Its a composite bat I bought from Amazon for $129. She is the smallest girl on the team, but hits like our 8 yr olds. She swings hard and handles it well. I dont think she would handle a 28 as good. Good Luck

Chad

Dec 5, 2012
Mid West
Demarini 28" -12 composite... about 70$
But a great bat for the price. My 8yr old has used it for two years. Still hot. Although, she probably needs a 29 or 30" this year...

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
When DD started softball at 10 we got her a WalMart softball bat in a color she liked. She used it for 3 years before DW and I finally sprung for a composite bat. It was still another year before the "type" of bat made a real difference in her at bats.

That purple WalMart bat has it's own spot in her bedroom hall of fame and she smiles when she brings it out to show friends/family. Best $20 I ever spent of softball.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
A 2 piece bat will help with her hands . I think there used to be a bat Bustos put her name on that was a 2 piece drop 13 that the really small girls on my Daughters team liked . As I recall they weren't super expensive .

If you go with a drop 12 you might be able to find an older Demarini Vendetta for cheap as well .

Last edited:
May 28, 2012
NE Louisiana
My 7yo has a Bustos. We bought 3 of the Bustos for our 4th-6th grade team. They give a weaker hitter extra pop. You can find them online for $89. Can't say enough good things about the Bustos for younger players.

Apr 10, 2013
CF5,Halo Light, Combat LF......all great choice for that size!
Easton power pad $4 for knob, it helps with the mishits/stings

As for walmart/cheap alloys vs comps....there is a difference in performance. You will also lose money on those cheap bats as where something like a Halo Light will hold it's resell/trade value

Apr 8, 2013
CF5,Halo Light, Combat LF......all great choice for that size!
Easton power pad $4 for knob, it helps with the mishits/stings

As for walmart/cheap alloys vs comps....there is a difference in performance. You will also lose money on those cheap bats as where something like a Halo Light will hold it's resell/trade value

You can't be serious? Recommending $150-$225 bats for a 7-year old? That just started? And thinking it makes a difference at that age/strength level? Remembe she's on the small side according to the original poster. Maybe for the bigger girls, maybe for the top 2% of 8U it might matter (which I'm sure all the posters here have daughters that are the best of the best of the best). My daughter used a 27-17 Eaton Typhoon at 7, it was probably $25. And it was machine pitch. Worked just fine.

And resale value??? So the original poster should spend $225 for a CF5, sell it next year for $175, if they're lucky (loss of $75), instead of buying an Easton/Louisville/whatever alloy from wherever for $40, with no resale (loss of $40). Makes perfect sense :confused:

To the original poster -

1. go to walmart/dick's sporting goods/wherever and look at the $25-$50 alloys
2. figure out what length/weight she needs. Do NOT buy a bat for her to "grow into"
3. let her pick the color.
4. use the money you would have spent on a CF5 and buy a tee, a net and a few balls for the backyard.

Apr 10, 2013
Was I serious...YES!
I'm not a rec/LL parent.....been involved with fastpitch for over 20 yrs,sold bats for over 15 yrs.
I seriously doubt anyone here has owned/tested/sold more FP bats than me unless its actually someone I know from the other message boards.
I can name every brand model,yr,make of every FP bat ever made! You need a review,help finding a deal,price check,etc....that's me!
Only here to help but people like you really turn me off. I shouldn't have to explain myself if you can't comprehend the info you are reading ......

The 'light" comps (-12s) that I suggested are designed with a lighter/better swing weight than any cheap walmart alloy.
That advantage alone equals to better mechanics & performance that need to be developed at a younger age which translates to a better hitter in the future.
BAT COMPANIES CREATED THESE "LIGHT" BATS FOR THE SMALLER/WEAKER GIRLS!
If you think these are bad in your opinion and ONLY 2% of an 8U team can swing these bats....you SERIOUSLY need to educate yourself on today's bats!
Most cheap alloys are designed poorly,weigh a lot more than sticker weight and have a poor balance point that's comparable to an end loaded T-ball bat.
A -10 typhoon is probably closer to a heavier drop weight -9/-8 yet this is the example you give.....seriously???

I gave him 3 options(CF5,Halo Light,LF) of which are considered the best "light" comps.
Best "light" alloy would be something like a Bustos $100/retail, these usually go for under $30 NIW ebay auction
Even the RIP-IT alloys go for under $40 NIW, no one is paying the full price retail $150-200 on them
Again these are designed better than some some cheap alloy from walmart/dicks to which YOU recommend....gotcha:rolleyes:

Show where I even said CF5 in that paragraph??
but if you wanna go there a 28/17 CF5-great condition sold for $99 yesterday #251258466004........deals are out there if you look!

I paid $25,$30,$35 for 3 Miken Halo Lights new/great condition through ebay! These retail for $150-200.
I've already flipped them for $60, $85 & $125!
You can get the Halo Light & Combat LFs for around $50-60 NIW/used some fall in the $20s through ebay auction........once she's ready to move up in size that bat' is an easy $50-100 plus sale/trade to a teammate,local sale,craigslist,etc
Compared to a cheap alloy being resold at any garage sale/flea market for a few bucks!
You need another typhoon you can get them for 99 CENTS with a bat purchase at Closeout Bats.............

Last edited:
Apr 8, 2013
She's SEVEN! And small compared to the rest of the team according the original poster. And this is her first year playing. And may come home from school next week and decide she wants to play soccer instead.

In two years when she develops her game, grows 6-inches and adds a few pounds a high end bat may be appropriate.

And there is nothing wrong with a Typhoon:). It's the old navy blue colored model. She used that bat for a year and will not let me take it to Goodwill. It's her "home run bat" she hit her first HR with (more like a double with lots of overthrows, but in her mind it was a majestic shot over everyone's head).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00