Wristbands for signals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
DD's college team uses bands but we never did. I was surprised she caught on so far because I was kicking myself in the butt for not instituting that during her summers. Let me say this, I think that the intent is to speed up the game but I have seen at lower levels, the game delayed as players try to figure out the numbers on their sweatbands. My dd was slow at first but then caught on. I still don't understand all of that stuff and would worry that a player would lose a sweatband and so, give away the system to anyone who found the sweatband.

Apr 17, 2012
I used to coach youth football, and we ran no huddle with 3 panel wrist coaches, using a color and number combination. Colors were across the top, and numbers were down the left side. I would call 1 color and a 3 number combo, 532 let's say, only 1 number is live. So if the first number is the live number when I call Black 532, the corrosponding play is in top column Black, left row 5. You can change which number is live at any point if you think they are picking your calls.

I actually had a team film my games to get all of my calls. But I had 2 panels in each player's wrist coach, in the second panel all of my plays were in new spots. But to add insult to injury for that other team, I coordinated those calls to be the exact opposite play they thought was being called. So they would think it was power right, when really it was reverse left. It didn't take long for them to give up.

I plan on using those wrist coaches this year with my 14U team. I think it will reduce missed calls, and give me more options for plays as well. Someone mentioned that all the girls would pay more attention, which will be an added bonus.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chadd