Wristbands for signals

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 2, 2008
Some of you are assuming all teams have experienced well coached 14u players, lol. Or have been able to coach the same kids from birth. I have 2 kids on my team that didnt even make their high school team this year, one of them hasnt played since 10u. Its alot of info at once. If wrist bands help you COACH your team the way you want it coached, and it is useful in helping kids LEARN, then more power to ya.

I have thought about using them, but we just dont have that many signs.

We used the wrist band with the catcher this year to help with calling pitches and pick offs. I probably actually used only once or twice per inning but it helped when we switched catcher and first base mid-season.
The other advantage being that it made it difficult for the daddys that work so hard on stealing signs and communicating them to the field much more difficult!

Feb 13, 2010
North Louisiana
We transitioned to the wrist bands this season (12-U), for batters only, and found they reduce the amount of time it takes to give the signal and also gives us some options when other teams think they have figured out our signals. We have about 10 numericals listed and after about 6 or 7 games most of the girls know them by heart. It also helps our first base coach know what's about to happen.

Jan 31, 2013
Options for call outs???

What were some of your call outs to players? For example, did you call out 501 and that meant something different than 284? What did each number represent and in which order?

Apr 1, 2010
Sarahcatchingcloseup.jpg
What type of wristbands? Those tennis sweatbands? I can't think of anything else that the umps would let you wear.

I've never put in a picture before, so I don't know if it will work. But if it does, here's DD wearing her wristband. They're not terribly obtrusive.

What were some of your call outs to players? For example, did you call out 501 and that meant something different than 284? What did each number represent and in which order?
My system was simple, I used fingers to communicate the call. Fist =0, 1 finger = 1, etc.
Each call was two digits (0,1,2,3,4,5) which gives 36 combinations. 1-1 might mean pitch low & away, 1-2 might mean change up, etc. I see no point in yelling out the call.

My DD1's college team used the same system (yes I actually got a good idea from that situation) with their batters and baserunners. I plan on using that this spring with my MS team.

You can get a simple one window wrist coach for around $ 6 (or less). I set up the codes and corresponding codes in excel, print it out on card stock (1.5 X 3.5 inches). They can be easily laminated with basic ID card lamination blanks.

Jun 3, 2010
Our 12U team used them this fall. What I noticed the most was that girls in the dugout would look down at their wristband after we gave a call to someone on the bases or at the plate. They seemed to be more into the game and knew what we were trying to pull off.
The combinations for calls are almost endless, and you would have to be a complete idiot to have another team figure out what all your calls are for even just a simple bunt in one whole game.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clawdog