Wrist Snap! Young Cat!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Sluggers, if your DD knew where the ball was going to be hit every time as she said, please ask what the Powerball numbers will be for me. Cause that's magic. I can play percentages: outside pitches hit away, inside pitches turned on, etc. But, there's a lot of unpredictability in that too.

Bill, holy cow. To answer sarcasm with sarcasm: Maybe you should have pitched more.

You say, "It's magic", but then you said, "But, most of the time outside pitches go to right, inside go to left." In other words, it is not magic...it is observation.

Let me ask you this:

Did you know where the pitch would end up after you released the ball but before the batter swung? Or would that be magic as well?

Because if you know whether the pitch is "fat"right after you release the pitch, then you have a pretty good idea that you should duck.

Aug 21, 2008
Bill, holy cow. To answer sarcasm with sarcasm: Maybe you should have pitched more.

You say, "It's magic", but then you said, "But, most of the time outside pitches go to right, inside go to left." In other words, it is not magic...it is observation.

Let me ask you this:

Did you know where the pitch would end up after you released the ball but before the batter swung? Or would that be magic as well?

Because if you know whether the pitch is "fat"right after you release the pitch, then you have a pretty good idea that you should duck.

Ray, I absolutely should've pitched more. Although I don't exactly know how I could have. I literally pitched 300 of 365 from the time I was 12 to about 30. LOL.

You're 100% right, on fatties down the tube, I had a good idea where it was going. I could only pray for a miracle that they'd swing miss, let the pitch go by, mis-hit the ball, or that it would get crushed over the wall instead of at me. And I did acknowledge that I played percentages... throwing outside would get me a ball to opposite field, etc. But it's far from a sure thing. And I know you were saying that same thing about your DD, I was being sarcastic. DEAD pull hitters are going to hit the outside pitch to the same place, not trying to go opposite field. Just look at the MLB shifts in defense. And sometimes a hitter will roll their hands over and get around the ball pulling the outside pitch on accident. Keeping in mind, a good hitter is playing the same cat/mouse game as me. They know what I'm trying to make them do and where I want them to hit it, so their goal is to foil my plans like those crazy kids did in ever Scooby Do episode.

Bill

Nov 8, 2018
My daughter has gotten hit a few
Times last year. My advice. Do t throw down the middle. And if you miss down the middle get ready because it’s coming back at you. so far so good. I just pray she stays safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 4, 2018
We've all seen plenty of MLB pitchers get hit. Just because you know where you threw the ball and where it probably gets hit is no real protection. I do think everyone agrees that in today's game a face mask is a necessity.

Nov 8, 2018
My daughter has gotten hit a few
Times last year. My advice. Do t throw down the middle. And if you miss down the middle get ready because it’s coming back at you. so far so good. I just pray she stays safe.

She wears a mask and was hit in the mask.

Feb 3, 2010
Pac NW
I am sure this will shake up some things on wrist snap...........Cat posted it on Twitter, said it many times, can't argue with what she says.......

I often use "snap" as a cue for kids, mostly referencing the elbow, but sometimes the hands/fingers. It's something they can feel and relate to. I also use "loose," "whippy" and "relaxed." Whatever it takes to get a lightbulb glowing.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I often use "snap" as a cue for kids, mostly referencing the elbow, but sometimes the hands/fingers. It's something they can feel and relate to. I also use "loose," "whippy" and "relaxed." Whatever it takes to get a lightbulb glowing.

Good point.

"Snap" to old timers like me refers to the terrible concept of wrist snap. But, "snap" as part of "snapping the whip" might be useful.

Thanks for the insight.

Dec 21, 2012
I know. Sometimes sarcasm doesn't appear in word form or in texts. As I said before, all a pitcher can do is hit their spot and play the percentages. And when they miss the spot, pray to the Almighty when that line drive comes screaming back up the middle!!!
Hey Bill, good to see you're still involved with fastpitch. Not sure you remember us, you used to come to NJ to give my daughter lessons. I hope you're doing well.
Mike MacMullen (Sam's dad)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00