Wrist Flips for the Win

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 24, 2015
So help me understand - When you break down her motion the ball is at 12, her stride foot is down just 3 feet from her pivot foot, and her glove is above the shoulders?
Yes that is what we do exactly.
I think the wrist flip we do is differenttthen what is being discussed. She is in her standing position shoulder towards the plate glove out. Just flipping the ball from the wrist.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

Jan 4, 2016
Have 4 pitchers on our 12U TB team. 2 of them do wrist flips the other 2 don't. Guess which ones are the number 1 & 2 pitchers? Yep the ones that everyone says pitch weird because they don't finish with their elbow up. Lol

Jun 12, 2015
Have 4 pitchers on our 12U TB team. 2 of them do wrist flips the other 2 don't. Guess which ones are the number 1 & 2 pitchers? Yep the ones that everyone says pitch weird because they don't finish with their elbow up. Lol

Funny how that works out. Girls do wrist flips because their pitching coaches teach them to do them.

Oct 30, 2014
Seattle
My daughter does wrist flips before every game. She will sometimes skip the K drill in warm-ups but she never skips the wrist flips.

You must be new here. Its widely agreed upon on these forms that wrist flips are a waste of time, if not directly teaching against what should be done in an optimal pitching motion.

You are allowed to believe what ever you'd like but you should take a moment to check out the stickies on the pitching forum to see the reasoning. Most of us find it very enlightening :) I promise you you are not going to convert members here unless you have incredible evidence we all have missed, in which case please do share.

Happy reading.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
So help me understand - When you break down her motion the ball is at 12, her stride foot is down just 3 feet from her pivot foot, and her glove is above the shoulders?

Yes that is what we do exactly.
I think the wrist flip we do is differenttthen what is being discussed. She is in her standing position shoulder towards the plate glove out. Just flipping the ball from the wrist.

I would love to see her full motion on video as it is certainly a unique approach. Cannot imagine being able get much velocity with only a 3 foot stride.

Dec 27, 2014
We had a team pitching practice last night, 5 pitchers lined up with five catchers or dads. 4 started with wrist flips, one did not.

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia
They will get laughed off the field in college. It is amazing how once they get to that level all of the nonsense quickly goes by the wayside. For my DD it is long toss, walk throughs, and then get down to business with a full motion. If she struggles with a pitch she may get close to the catcher, isolate her lower body and work on the release/spin for a few minutes.

DD still does this with riseballs as that pitch is not mastered....

Nov 25, 2012
USA
While I agree completely with what has mentioned above.....I think it is important for a new member, parent, etc. to know that what is being said does not mean that the wrist stays stiff.

2rnylnr.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sdwingnut