Would you let your DD do this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
I would not eat the price of the airline ticket. Through nobody's fault, there was a rain delay and plans were already made. Travel ball teams are put together in the fall and players make commitments to the team when they join. Conversely, I would not hesitate to cut a player who missed the PGF qualifiers.

You have to be an idiot to put yourself in the position of missing the flight due to a rain delay. The expectation that the game will finish on time and you can make an evening flight later in the day is unreasonable.

Sep 29, 2014
This is such an easy call I don't know why we are even discussing this. The travel coaches around here all have girls playing HS ball, they all go watch and they would never expect a girl to ditch her HS teams state championship game for a qualifier. All TB coaches know that girls are not available until HS season is over. I am assuming this was a senior which seems odd since they put in 4 years of hard work, if she is an underclassman she can't expect a spot in the team next year and yeah no ring or trophy or team photo or anything...she obviously had her priorities and that's just the way things go.

Feb 15, 2016
The arguments you are making come from a selfish point of view, IMO. 'I will be out a lot of money.' 'I might get cut.' Yes, travel ball teams are put together in the fall, but so would high school teams if they were allowed. The player might've been in the high school program much longer than the travel organization.

I can't fathom a coach who would cut a player because she chose to play in a state championship high school game.

There is something seriously wrong with a TB coach who would cut a girl for playing in the state championship. It's not like you couldn't take a Saturday morning flight and maybe miss the first game or something. Planes fly all the time.

There are a lot of negative perceptions of TB and the culture that surrounds it and this type of condoned or possibly worse yet "expected" behavior just fuels that.

Jun 11, 2013
On almost any airline you could have paid a change fee and flown out the next day. The coach who would cut her for missing a game has that right, but
the words "I do it all for the kids" should never come out of his mouth. I bet every kid on that team would have understood her missing it unless they were
jealous that it wasn't them. As a coach you know the player isn't yours until the season is over whenever that occurs.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish