Would you let your DD do this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 11, 2012
In my state you can be suspended from the HS team for missing a game/practice for a club sport.
My DD is playing for a Division championship tonight and if they will win be playing for the state title this week/weekend. He club coach is thrilled that she is getting to experience this and is fine with her not being at practice today and possibly missing some of next weekends tournament.
Leaving her team to go play somewhere else would never cross her mind.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I remember a tennis team a few years ago whose #1 and #2 singles players opted to play in a major tournament instead of the state finals. Team lost in the final. Head coach said the players made their schedules known ahead of time, in tryouts, and coach decided to take them knowing they'd be there only through the semifinals. His attitude was that they wouldn't have made the finals without them, so he took their absence in stride and didn't blame them. Their teammates, however, basically didn't speak to them at the team banquet.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
Here is a true story...my DD#3's team is playing in the D3 national championship basketball game. The father skips the title game in order to go see his HS age son play in a travel tournament.

To get to the title game takes a little luck. A funny bounce here or there, a strange umpire call...whatever. There are so many variables that championships only come around once in a while.

Last edited:
Sep 28, 2015
My DD was almost on this position this year ....as much as she knows her TB would need her there was no doubt in her mind she needed to finish her school commitment. And after all the months and months of practice and playing she could never turn her back on them. Sadly the decision was taken out her hands when they lost.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 11, 2013
If one player missing a qualifier kills you you might as well not qualify. A chance to win a state Championship is something you will always remember.

Aug 21, 2011
38°41'44"N 121°9'47.5"W
I would not eat the price of the airline ticket. Through nobody's fault, there was a rain delay and plans were already made. Travel ball teams are put together in the fall and players make commitments to the team when they join. Conversely, I would not hesitate to cut a player who missed the PGF qualifiers.

May 30, 2013
Binghamton, NY
a seasoned softball family should know better than to schedule a travel commitment like that,
without any wiggle room in the itinerary.

Rain delays happen. A lot.

Granted, the travel arrangements were probably made months in advance,
likely before the HS team knew they would still be playing.
Tough, situation, but I agree - you play with the HS team for the Championship!

Note to self: Probably best to pay the extra for airfare that is refundable.

Jun 27, 2011
North Carolina
I would not eat the price of the airline ticket. Through nobody's fault, there was a rain delay and plans were already made. Travel ball teams are put together in the fall and players make commitments to the team when they join. Conversely, I would not hesitate to cut a player who missed the PGF qualifiers.

The arguments you are making come from a selfish point of view, IMO. 'I will be out a lot of money.' 'I might get cut.' Yes, travel ball teams are put together in the fall, but so would high school teams if they were allowed. The player might've been in the high school program much longer than the travel organization.

I can't fathom a coach who would cut a player because she chose to play in a state championship high school game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bookish