Would you let your DD do this?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
High School State Championship Game. There is a rain delay and the game is going to be played late in the evening. You planned to let your DD play in the title game and then fly to New Jersey for a PGF qualifier for her travel team. The rain delay screws up your plan. Does your DD stay and play in the title game or do you pull her from the title game to get her on a plane to play the qualifier?

Feb 20, 2015
illinois
It it was my DD? She plays in the state championship game. Not many people get to play for a state championship in any sport. Travel team/coach should understand that.

Feb 17, 2014
Orlando, FL
This should not even be considered. She has already committed to the HS team for the entire season, not so long as it is convenient for her. Until the HS season is complete that must be her priority. Since the PGF qualifier would have zero impact on her recruiting efforts, it should not be of any concern. Although college coaches could care less about HS ball, they are all about character and commitment. If a college coach ever got wind of her ditching her HS team in such a situation, she would not get recruited.

Oct 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I think riseball said it well, done now though.

Might be some work to do by DD and family.

It is over, move forward.

Congrats to the Team for winning!

marriard

Not lost - just no idea where I am
Oct 2, 2011
Florida
Our HS team: Hope she was a senior, because that was her last game ever for high school

She also wouldn't be getting any of the rewards for winning a state championship. No 'ring'/trophy. No listing in the state championship photos or trophy case.

Some people have weird priorities.

EDIT: She would not want to deal with my DD for abandoning the team. I am not sure I can write what her response was when I ran this scenario by her.

Last edited:

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
They won the state championship without her.

First, we don't know what position this player played or whether she was a starter or not. Secondly, I coached a state championship team where our #5 hitter and RF left for a family trip instead of participating in the state tournament. We still won. However, the state championship photo with the trophy does not include him as it was taken at state. He does not have a state championship medal. It haunts him and when that team gets together to celebrate the title, he is not there.

Apr 12, 2016
Minnesota
This was not my DD's team but I just thought it was odd priorities all around to include her travel coach who didn't tell her to stay and play for a HS state championship. A possibly once in a lifetime opportunity. Maybe it didn't mean that much to her or her family to support her teammates and her community.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cputman12