Would you expect this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 25, 2018
When I call illegal pitches, especially for pitch preliminaries infractions (i.e. stepping onto the the pitching plate with the hands together)
I often get grief from the coach. Until I show them the rule.

Ticky-tack? I know some umpires won't call the illegal pitches I do, but my approach is that if I see a rules infraction I'm calling it.

Jul 2, 2013
When I call illegal pitches, especially for pitch preliminaries infractions (i.e. stepping onto the the pitching plate with the hands together)
I often get grief from the coach. Until I show them the rule.

Ticky-tack? I know some umpires won't call the illegal pitches I do, but my approach is that if I see a rules infraction I'm calling it.

I appreciate that you call this because a rule is a rule. The problem I have are the umpires that will call things like this but not something illegal that gains an advantage, like the replant. I know taking the ball out of the glove at the wrong time is much easier to see so it gets called more.

I have seen an umpire shown dirt in the circle to prove where a pitcher's foot loses contact and then touches again and basically shrug his shoulders and walk off. I once had a field ump tell me a girl wasn't illegal because she wasn't leaping. I asked him to watch for the replant. He watched her throw two pitches and said she was illegal. But then he told me he wasn't going to call it. Those are the things that frustrate me.

Nov 4, 2015
Bucket dad here. It should be called illegal. She leaps and replants. Neither is allowed in the rules.

Mar 28, 2016
Mainly because it’s never called. Also the replant is there but a secondary push off isn’t there. The lead foot is already down.
I agree with this. I don't see mush of a push, if any. Watch her lead foot trajectory. It would have landed in the exact same spot whether their was a replant or not. Typically, you see the lead foot gain a bit more distance with a secondary push off.
I call this a baby crowhop and I don't see it called very often.

Mar 28, 2014
Anyone want to comment on the fact that even her initial push was from in front of the pitcher’s plate? :eek::)
and from a mechanical standpoint her foot is at a 45 degree angle which is terrible for pushing off. Probably why she has to leap to get decent distance. :cool:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Go_Ask_Mom