Would you expect this

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Dec 6, 2019
I wouldn’t call it.

I wouldn’t call it. It’s not ideal technique but I don’t feel she is gaining an advantage. I’ve seen much worse.

This is infuriating. Put a gun on her with the replant and without the replant. You will see it is an advantage. It's also an advantage because of all the countless hours other kids spend learning to do it right and following the rules. They could have been hitting or doing something else with that time. But again, it doesn't actually matter if it gives an advantage or not--it's illegal and needs to be called.

And it's very easy to see. It's the back knee, and only the back knee. If it faces anywhere behind the line from first to third and re-flexes, it's an illegal replant 100% of the time. No exceptions.

Feb 25, 2018
and from a mechanical standpoint her foot is at a 45 degree angle which is terrible for pushing off. Probably why she has to leap to get decent distance. :cool:

Interesting how it can hurt some, not be an issue for others. Not trying to be sarcastic.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200616-151250_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20200616-151250_Gallery.jpg
    53.4 KB · Views: 15
Apr 28, 2019
Many people say there is no such thing as a replant. Claim it’s physically impossible.
My perspective is if she is making an effort to drag her toe/foot I wouldn’t call an illegal pitch because there is no advantage.
The advantage is when a pitcher leaps off the rubber and makes no attempt to drag the back foot. The leap gains an advantage because there is no drag/friction against the ground resulting in being able to get closer to home and throw with more velocity.

Aug 1, 2019
MN
@MadBandit22

...I have been an advocate for a pitching blue at every game. ...

Again, it will never happen.

Interesting concept, at least it's new to me. Maybe you will get your wish. I believe CWS keeps adding umpires so we now have them at each base. That's a lot of eyeballs available to watch the pitcher, especially if the bases are empty. If the strike zone becomes electronically monitored maybe the plate umpire can focus more on the pitcher.

Jun 20, 2015
can someone show me in the rule book where an illegal pitch is not illegal if the pitcher is not 'gaining and advantage"??? Crazy stupid, MSU rules. It's illegal, call it. PERIOD.

radness

Possibilities & Opportunities!
Dec 13, 2019
Find it peculiar how folks will comment saying what someone else is doing will or wont help them without seeing a consistant version of both from the same person.
...and then an opinion determining wether they think a rule should appy.

This alone could tell us there are those that gain an advantage outside the rules.

Another perspective is timing a
pitcher who has an added
'feature' to their delivery.
Could be any feature,...
Some are within the rules,
Some are not.

Last edited:
May 16, 2016
On turf, this pitch is clearly illegal, because of the leap. On dirt, this probably passes as legal, because the surface is not smooth and flat

Jun 17, 2020
On turf, this pitch is clearly illegal, because of the leap. On dirt, this probably passes as legal, because the surface is not smooth and flat

In 10C had an opposing coach call this out when my pitcher was mowing them down. But she wasn't re-establishing the drive foot. it was more of a leap than a crow hop.

I pointed out to blue that there was a HUGE rut in front of the rubber, and thus no way contact was possible. Blue said he was looking at the "angle of her foot - if she made an attempt to drag the toe" to determine if there was an illegal pitch.

So if her foot was flat (toes to 3rd, heel to 1st), it was illegal. If her heel was more vertical/toe down, it was legal. The Opp coach kept calling it out. Blue went on to call balls and not bother to tell us they were illegal pitches.

Needless to say this wrecked the pitcher. Several walks and had to pull her. The strike zone was impossible to find for the remainder of the game - despite "expanded zone".

We still won. So that was good anger therapy. :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coach101