Worst inning of her life!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 21, 2008
My experience is as someone learns to pull the ball down and lead with the pinky, they'll typically develop a low and inside miss, often right at the batters thigh, especially when converting from pushing the ball. Of course I'll defer to your experience, but I've seen it happen enough times to believe it's part of the learning process.

Well, in MY experience it boils down to this (and this is all on my video so now sales will go down 100%!!) High/Low pitches is timing issues. Inside and out are mechanics. Outside pitches (RH pitcher to RH hitter) means she pulled her shoulder offline at delivery (typically), inside pitches means she's either already closed the hips forcing the ball to go AROUND the hips giving it an inside trajectory OR her arm is a long ways from her body and not tight (or what some call brushing past). She she gets the ball through the hips, not around them LITERALLY forcing her arm to "brush" her stomach, the ball will NOT go inside... it will go where the shoulder is pointed.

I've seen COUNTLESS girls with whip but, no sense of body direction or body awareness. Which leads to the old saying, what good is throwing 100 mph if you can't control it?

Best tool for fixing that inside pitch is the WINDMILL TRAINER. It can be bought in stores or through my website store. Google the name and you'll see the video of how it helps correct inside pitches.

Bill

Nov 25, 2012
USA
quote from DD regarding the whip Moth Girl talks about......" Dad, I got the whip, but after I get the 3rd strike, I focus on my Nay Nay." Smile comes to her face so I know she is still having fun!!

Nov 25, 2012
USA
To clarify, apparently, the Nay Nay is a song(or lyrics) that is OVER played at the TB tournaments we have been to this fall. Mothgirl, tell your DD to keep up the great work regardless of the bumps in the road!! Its a marathon and not a sprint!!! Although, their is a likeness to sprinting...:)

Feb 7, 2013
Mothgirl - while all pitchers will have bad innings and games, what I would take from this situation is has she put in the time and dedication to be a Varsity pitcher? Regardless of what her coach says and does, she is the one in control of her "pitching career" and that should be her sole focus. As BH described well, HS ball is relatively meaningless when it comes right down to it. I know it's fun to play for your school but it's a different animal from travel ball and that should be her focus.

Kristina Thorson (former NPF player) tells a great story how one year when she was in HS and had workouts for the first time after a long off season and she was pitching very poorly (by her standards) and the coach said she "stunk like skunk shxt". The coach didn't sugar coat it for her and she got the message loud and clear. She needed to work harder in her game so that that situation never happened again. She went on to become Gatorade player of the year, a top pitcher in college and professional player.

My point is use this as motivation and one day she may thank her HS coach for being such an arsehole.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
We played with our travel team this weekend she did good. First game she struggled a bit, But we were down quite a bit already when he put her in. The second game, she pitched the whole game we lost 6-4 she pitched good, 4innings 49pitches (third inning only 5 pitches thrown).

She puts in the work to be a varsity pitcher she practices a lot but she's just now starting to get game time in circle so that puts her behind most 14yr olds in our area who have lots of circle time under their belts. I don't want her on V on want her on JV do she'll be the #1

I have your videos BH and I made a windmill trainer long time ago.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad