Worst inning of her life!

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
If the batters couldn't get out of the way, then she was throwing hard!

My DD pegged one in the calf and the girl hopped on one leg nearly the entire length to first base. What it told me was she was throwing hard that day!

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
If the batters couldn't get out of the way, then she was throwing hard!

My DD pegged one in the calf and the girl hopped on one leg nearly the entire length to first base. What it told me was she was throwing hard that day!

I don't want my batters getting out of the way of an errant pitch.

Wear it with pride.

30xkeoi.gif

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
That was my dd words to me last night after a high school game. She pitched one inning and she walked in a ton, she hit 4 or 5 in a row RHB in the leg. (Not normal)! I was watching and usually I'm nervous for her but last night I didn't care I was happy! cuz her speed was up, and she was leaning forward! she was really whipping it in there when she wasn't nailing one in the leg or ankle AND she didn't revert back to the old standard when it got bad she stuck with it, (got pulled out of the game, the high school coach was a real jerk to her, told her she wasn't a pitcher of she can't throw 5 strikes in a row and that he was moving her down to JV) I wanted to kick him in the teeth, but I was still proud she tried to work thru it! She was so upset when she got pulled but I told her how I was so proud that she stuck with the new stuff even tho it didn't give the results she wanted. It will eventually if she keeps working on it (and her speed was up!) I don't have any video from last night:(

Today she had a lesson with Shannon. Shannon has such an eye for picking out what she's doing wrong and putting it in a way that my dd will listen, she helped her get a better loaded lean (straighter back leg) and helped get there more efficiently. (Better weight transfer)
My dd was not a bundle of joy to work with today! she was so sore she could barely move and she was still upset from last night. thanks for being patient SS!

Having DD receive some circle time on the JV team is the right outcome.

JJsqueeze

Dad, Husband....legend
Jul 5, 2013
safe in an undisclosed location
That was my dd words to me last night after a high school game. She pitched one inning and she walked in a ton, she hit 4 or 5 in a row RHB in the leg. (Not normal)! I was watching and usually I'm nervous for her but last night I didn't care I was happy! cuz her speed was up, and she was leaning forward! she was really whipping it in there when she wasn't nailing one in the leg or ankle AND she didn't revert back to the old standard when it got bad she stuck with it, (got pulled out of the game, the high school coach was a real jerk to her, told her she wasn't a pitcher of she can't throw 5 strikes in a row and that he was moving her down to JV) I wanted to kick him in the teeth, but I was still proud she tried to work thru it! She was so upset when she got pulled but I told her how I was so proud that she stuck with the new stuff even tho it didn't give the results she wanted. It will eventually if she keeps working on it (and her speed was up!) I don't have any video from last night:(

Today she had a lesson with Shannon. Shannon has such an eye for picking out what she's doing wrong and putting it in a way that my dd will listen, she helped her get a better loaded lean (straighter back leg) and helped get there more efficiently. (Better weight transfer)
My dd was not a bundle of joy to work with today! she was so sore she could barely move and she was still upset from last night. thanks for being patient SS!

out of curiosity. How has she done the other times she has pitched?

JAD

Feb 20, 2012
Georgia

HS coaches want to win games. I would caution against making major changes to your DD's pitching motion in the middle of the season - HS or TB. Changes are usually "one step back, two steps forward" which is why the off season is the best time to make a change. If you were a HS coach and had a pitcher that could throw strikes and give your team a chance to win, who suddenly threw 5 MPH faster, but could not throw strikes and hit batter after batter, would you be happy?

JV might be great for her hopefully she gets more mound time with that comes more confidence as im sure she was nervous and just wanted to perform great in saying that anyone on here that has a DD that pitches has seen one or two or 10 bad innings its all part of the game. its how the DD deals with it is whats most important all you can do is encourage and be positive (easier said than done sometimes though) ;)

Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
HS coaches want to win games. I would caution against making major changes to your DD's pitching motion in the middle of the season - HS or TB. Changes are usually "one step back, two steps forward" which is why the off season is the best time to make a change. If you were a HS coach and had a pitcher that could throw strikes and give your team a chance to win, who suddenly threw 5 MPH faster, but could not throw strikes and hit batter after batter, would you be happy?

Yes, one of the reasons it is a good idea to move the player to JV is because the player is being influenced to use the games as a practice time and operate out of her comfort zone.

She pitched one inning and she walked in a ton, she hit 4 or 5 in a row RHB in the leg. (Not normal)! I was watching and usually I'm nervous for her but last night I didn't care I was happy! cuz her speed was up, and she was leaning forward!

Not a problem. Using the HS season as a practice is the path some travel. Often such a path is encouraged on JV teams as the players work on their skill level.

May 9, 2014
Umatilla, Florida
I should have explained more but it was already so long of a post
This is our "conditioning" season we are playing scrimmages only mostly we just practice. We don't have a JV or V right now it's just players that need practice show up. He is playing players that have never played softball before to get them some experience. The entire infield was made up of kids that either never played, or played a season long time ago. The outfield was players that have played before but need practice.
also I have been trying to convince him to keep her down on JV once the season starts so she can get circle time! He told me and her two days ago "your gonna be mad when the season starts cuz I'm putting her on Varsity"
Believe me! I'm very happy if he does keep her down on JV cuz she will get lots of circle time and that's what she needs!
What pissed me off was that he knows she working on stuff, he knows what exactly she's working on, but he was embarrassed that she was hitting batters and walking em. He took it out on her in a very negative way. Telling her she's not a pitcher telling her "we don't walk anyone" your not pitching if your waking em in. That she's def not makin V. (He said more I just don't remember) Telling her this in front of the entire team. that's why I wanted to kick him in the teeth, at the time. I felt like he was playing head games with her. I'm over it now. It just made her want to prove him wrong and it made the players rally behind her cuz he was such a dick (maybe that's why he did it?)

As for how she usually does...she does pretty good, but she muscles it! she's not a pitcher that blows em past batters she's got good movement but she's on the slower end usually. Usually she's pretty damn accurate but it looks to me anyway, like she's aiming. It didn't look like that on Tuesday she was letting it rip! I hope she keeps it up and if every other girl out there is using these scrimmages as practice I don't see why she can't? And I wasn't mad that she got pulled, I didn't like the comments he was making. He made other neg. comments about her and he kept on all through the night, that's what pissed me off.

Ps-

She's played on his travel team, pitched for him, did very well. He loved her so he knows what she can do I don't know why he couldn't accept that she was having a bad night?

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2009
Portland, OR
Part of the HS coach's job is to establish the expectation level with the players.

Later in life these girls will likely have bosses that do the same thing.

Sometimes expectations aren't sugar coated. We have to do our best to extract expectations and then deliver on them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kyleighsdad