World's Smallest Strike Zone

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 3, 2011
Which got him an earful from that pitcher's mom after the game.
Apart from "aw, c'mon, Blue, that was a great one!" or "thanks for calling an excellent game today" or similar, parents on my teams aren't allowed to address the umpires at all if they want to continue being permitted to watch their daughter's games from the sideline beside the infield.

Unless the umpire threatened or touched a player, the parent had no business whatsoever speaking to him.

Aug 19, 2011
Apart from "aw, c'mon, Blue, that was a great one!" or "thanks for calling an excellent game today" or similar, parents on my teams aren't allowed to address the umpires at all if they want to continue being permitted to watch their daughter's games from the sideline beside the infield.

Unless the umpire threatened or touched a player, the parent had no business whatsoever speaking to him.

I agree, I've never talked to an umpire, and wouldn't. On the other hand, I don't think an umpire has any business whatsoever telling a pitcher to slow down. Maybe this one is a push.

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
Well,thats when the catcher and pitcher need to work together,pitcher throws a pitch right down the middle,lets say at about umpire's head height,and catcher ducks and forgets to catch the ball.;):eek:

Did you hear about the HS baseball pitcher who lost a scholarship to college for a stunt like this?

Jul 21, 2008
Well,thats when the catcher and pitcher need to work together,pitcher throws a pitch right down the middle,lets say at about umpire's head height,and catcher ducks and forgets to catch the ball.;):eek:

I hope this was a joke......I would never teach my players to do that and I hope you would not either.

Aug 19, 2011
I hope this was a joke......I would never teach my players to do that and I hope you would not either.

*I* certainly thought it was a joke. But I hope anybody who found nano's jest offensive or alarming will take equally seriously the situation of an umpire doing his best to remove one of the pitcher's most important defenses and insisting, verbally even, that she throw pitches that have an increased possibility of coming straight back and possibly injuring her.

Mar 30, 2011
I must admit when I first started upiring 11U rec games here in New Zealand I had a small zone because I really didn’t know better. Now softball NZ is activly incouraging a bigger zone at this level to help beginner pitchers and to encourage kids to swing the bat.

I also came across this article in the softball NZ website so its a problem we have right up to senior levels here.

“The blues giving me nothing…”
How often do we hear this from a pitcher and see the frustration in their body language?

I saw this at the NFC and again at the Bev Chote Classic and there were some situations which came about which were not good for the game. When a pitchers skill is so compromised that one of our top pitchers realises that they may as well just slow everything down and pitch the pitch across the plate, then our game is really in trouble. Why bother to practice hitting the corners if all the batter has to do is never swing and simply pick up a walk.

How about with loaded bases, 2 batters in a row get walked in by an U19 pitcher. Is there satisfaction in umpiring like this? Is this the hitting game that rule changes have envisioned? Come on blue – give the pitcher some corners –show some appreciation for the skill of the pitcher and call what’s good for the game.

It’s so easy to totally blame the umpire, but how about the players – they need to be better prepared for this situation. It is up the catcher to keep the umpire honest with his/her calling and it’s up to the pitcher to be able to pitch called strikes when needed. It is better if the 1st baseman pleads for the corner pitch, rather than the pitcher appearing to be begging.

Catchers need to be aware of what the umpire is calling as a strike – is it the inside or the outside of the plate? Make it a goal to establish this point in the 1st innings. You now have a reference point to talk about with the blue. Building up the relationship with the umpire becomes so important especially when you find yourself with loaded bases and behind the count.

Pitchers need to realise, that when you are so far behind the count you need to expand the zone and make your target area bigger. Make the corner bigger. Pitch to the whole zone not the corner. The umpire also needs to have an appreciation for good plays. If you feel the ump is in the wrong position to see the play on the bases, then you can ask that particular umpire to ask the other umpire their opinion. They don’t have to, it is up to them, but umpires like to work as a team.

We all appreciate it’s a tough job umpiring softball - there are so many close plays – so I ask on close plays & game changing situations umpires consider what’s good for the game.

Nov 29, 2009
There are three strike zones

There are actually 4 zones. The last is the pitcher's zone. Pitchers have certain place they like to place the ball. If it matches the umpire's zone then life can be real good for that game.

Greenmonsters

Wannabe Duck Boat Owner
Feb 21, 2009
New England
There are actually 4 zones. The last is the pitcher's zone. Pitchers have certain place they like to place the ball. If it matches the umpire's zone then life can be real good for that game.

Very true. I was thinking that 3 zones seemed like the biggest jump that could be conceptualized by the OP's DD. But again, why throw a pitch over the plate if you don't have to!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
br_pickoff