Workouts for pitcher

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 28, 2014
Sprints... every day... and lots of them.
Running up and down hills 2-3 times per week..
Squats and leg presses..

CORE work... Pistol Squats... Planks, any core work that isolates muscle group.

Be careful with the exercises that bulk up the upper body.. Pitching requires explosive fast twitch muscle movement.

May 17, 2012
Sprints... every day... and lots of them.
Running up and down hills 2-3 times per week..
Squats and leg presses..

CORE work... Pistol Squats... Planks, any core work that isolates muscle group.

Be careful with the exercises that bulk up the upper body.. Pitching requires explosive fast twitch muscle movement.

A great workout but what does it have to do with pitching? Nothing...

Apr 28, 2014
A great workout but what does it have to do with pitching? Nothing...

DD is in an organization that just produced a D1 top 5 school pitcher who as a freshman pitched in the WS.
Another kid in the org will go the same route.
I didn't know much about what workouts it took to produce these results. Now I do and it's working very well. My expertise is learning from others who are successful as I don't have much knowledge about this sport :)

May 15, 2016
My 13y/o DDs are on a swim team 7 months out of the year, 2 summer, 5 winter. I had always assumed swimming would really benefit them. Is there something else my pitching DD should consider focusing on at this age?

Oct 1, 2014
USA
Over last winter dd did javasources redcord workout and he's squats lunges jumps etc.... done twice a week and we noticed a major difference. She wants to do it again this off season along with her pitching and team practice.

Been planning on having my DDs both (picther/catcher) do Java's recommended Redcord workout since last fall but between all the brushclearing, rock clearing, basketball and softball seasons we haven't found the time yet! Was hopeful that we'd have more of a break after HS softball before BB this year but the new travel team has the girls in a couple showcases. The hoops season should end in mid-Feb so maybe we can fit it in before travel ball really ramps up.

BTW, if you have access to a Concept2 or similar rowing machine it's a great all around workout for the softball athlete with virtually no jarring impact to the joints/bones. It stretches, builds core/legs/shoulders and is a wicked cardio workout. Use it as a warm up/down part (2K meters each) of an overall workout or some days as a stand alone.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corrie00