Workout to prevent injuries

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Apr 3, 2011
Workout for different seasons

Hi all, this is my first time posting here. I'm putting together a sample workout program for a high school softball team as part of a class project. I have a lot of the basics, but it's been years since I've played softball and I've forgotten a lot of the exercises we used to do.

I'm specifically looking for exercises or drills to develop agility, core strength, prevent injuries to the shoulders and knees due to muscle instability (esp. since girls are so much more prone to ACL tears), and to develop overall power.

Also, exercises specific to the different seasons. I know that post-season is more about active rest and rehabilitation, pre-season is about building strength and power, and in-season is more about maintaining. Any specific exercises you've found useful for these different needs?

I'd really love some real-world experience on this to make sure I'm on the right path. Thanks so much!

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2009
Philippines
Your periodization is correct. Here are some answers for your questions:

1.Exercise specifically for
agility - jumping rope, ladder drills, 4-quadrant drills, lateral movements, stop and go drills
core - planks, modified planks, stability ball exercises, single leg exercises,
Shoulder injuries - rotator cuff exercises, Ys, Ts, Ls
ACL - wall squats w/ball between legs, squats, single leg squats, bulgarian squats,
Over all power - olympic lifts, Kettlebells, Med Ball exercises, Explosive workouts
2. Specific exercises
Post-season: pool exercises, band exercises, circuit training, Bike or elliptical cardio workout
Pre-season: interval training, supersets, functional training, Medball exercises, agility and speed exercises,
In-season: Core training, Functional training

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sarahjackson13