Workload

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Oct 26, 2019
Injuries usually come down to doing (1) too much (2) too fast (3) too soon. Most girls don’t go through a proper full body warmup. Most haven’t thrown enough to prepare to throw that much. Most don’t do any recovery. The thing I don’t understand with youth softball is, assuming every kid is out to get a college scholarship (tongue in cheek I know) you never see college pitchers (or HS for that matter) throw this much in a short period of time, so why do it at 12U?

To me it’s not a question of the dangers of the pitching motion so much is the repetitive, asymmetrical action, done at high intensity, for 3-400 reps. I don’t care what you are doing, that’s a recipe for injury.

May 27, 2013
Just my two cents - girls might be able to pitch many innings for years with great mechanics and no pain; however, it might be after their pitching careers are over when you still might see the effects of over-use creeping in.

Oct 3, 2019
The best way to prevent injury is to not play. Thanks doc. And those aren't "papers" (peer reviewed articles). It amazes me the ignorance...

The ignorance absolutely amazes I agree. When you have people on here that seem to know more about this subject than very accomplished orthopedic surgeons.
The best way to prevent injury is to not play. Thanks doc. And those aren't "papers" (peer reviewed articles). It amazes me the ignorance...
How about world renowned Orthopaedic Surgeons? How about the one that professional athletes actually go to?

Feb 25, 2020
It appeared someone was doubting the doctors.

Jeannie, what would you do if one doctor gives you a piece of advice and then another doctor gives you conflicting advice?

Would you actually have to use your own judgement? What a nightmare. If you dont get a second OPINION you are doing yourself a disservice.

I think it's funny because there is a disclaimer at the bottom of that Rice Flyer that says "Sports Tips provide general information only and are not a substitute for your own good judgement." There is alot of good stuff in that FLYER but that is the best piece.

Apr 8, 2019
Just 'throwing' this out there...
If people are so concerned with pitchers throwing too many innings maybe they shouldn't play another defensive position where they also have to throw overhand. 🤷‍♀️ Simply commenting how far do people want to go to protect athletes?

At practices an entire team is throwing overhand so much accumulatively they're throwing around 300 throws per practice.

Is that too much?
Happens, a lot, for many years...
Is everybody getting injured because of that? No
300 throws as a team not a person. Who throws that much at practice? They simulate the throw and drop it in the bucket or toss to the side

Jun 6, 2016
Chicago
It appeared someone was doubting the doctors.

I don't doubt the doctors; I do doubt that those conducting the studies understand there is a distinct wrong way to pitch, many girls are taught this way, and (anecdotally) this is primarily the population for whom the described injuries take place. I also wonder if a 20-year-old study is, at best, outdated since many, many more girls were taught to pitch the wrong way then.

Where is the overwhelming evidence of significant arm injuries for IR pitchers? Why don't dozens of top college pitchers lose entire seasons every year?

I am extremely confident saying that pitching a baseball is significantly riskier for arm/shoulder health than pitching a softball, so I stand by my statement that we need to view pitch counts differently. Also 12 year olds should also not throw 300 pitches in a day.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jar207