Working the Coil and drills.

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jan 13, 2012
She went back to college 15 min. ago. Next time she comes back you reccommend? Please explain.

She was working the hip.
Looks like her barrel is whipping through to me without that cue?

Pstein, I really try to stay away from giving a hitter any upper body swing thoughts
I use a rubber mallet for wrist release drills. (Active hands)

The SnF drill isn't whip.

Turning the barrel isn't a thought, it's an action. Once you get in the box, it should be engrained. Next time she's back from college, trying turning the barrel. I think both you and she will be very pleased with the results.

I'm not sure what you mean by "wrist release" drills. However, with a rubber mallet, it's probably occurring far too late.

Dec 11, 2010
Straightleg THANK YOU for posting this info and video. That is a great help to see the matrix drill the way it should be done and we will be doing it.

If you have a little time can you discuss the S&F drill and what you are goals are with that drill. If I was setting that up where are her feet in relation to the tee the direction I can't see on the video?

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
Straightleg THANK YOU for posting this info and video. That is a great help to see the matrix drill the way it should be done and we will be doing it.

If you have a little time can you discuss the S&F drill and what you are goals are with that drill. If I was setting that up where are her feet in relation to the tee the direction I can't see on the video?

Bustos teach's each step of the Matrix. That is not what I am doing. We are doing a speeded up slow motion Matrix that is non stop.. A matrix that is for sequence of body parts.

The SNF drill, I just used it to load the rear butt and fire the lower back and hips. Just for a feeling for the hips to lead.
I did not create the drill, so I can not comment on how it is supposed to be done.

SL

Dec 11, 2010
Sounds good.

I thought it looked different.

I have not yet ordered the video but will soon, that should help me get it.

Oct 10, 2011
Casey has not done this drill since this time last year. Not sure we are doing it right.
But I am all about drills to work the hips first.

Casey doing

Drill 4
Casey SNF 2013 - YouTube

SL

Thanks for all the videos Straightleg!
We generally do this drill standing lined up with the tee, not behind it, to force the stretch and still get a line drive towards center.

R

RayR

She is swinging with two legs in this demo - you essentially want to turn this into a one legged swing so you can really stretch it out....outside leg is just for balance. she doesn't get turned back nearly enough - her lower back is connected to her hips and shoulders.

Her hands drop to start the swing and then push and she kind of squats. She doesn't turn the barrel.

Put another way - you cannot fire if you never get stetched as per the drill's intention....

And before everyone gets their panties in a bunch - SL asked me post this here after our PM's

Casey has not done this drill since this time last year. Not sure we are doing it right.
But I am all about drills to work the hips first.

Casey doing the SNF

Drill 4
[video=youtube_share;IUxxoKcDLH4]http://youtu.be/IUxxoKcDLH4[/video]

SL

Aug 1, 2008
ohio
She is swinging with two legs in this demo - you essentially want to turn this into a one legged swing so you can really stretch it out....outside leg is just for balance. she doesn't get turned back nearly enough - her lower back is connected to her hips and shoulders.

Her hands drop to start the swing and then push and she kind of squats. She doesn't turn the barrel.

Put another way - you cannot fire if you never get stetched as per the drill's intention....

And before everyone gets their panties in a bunch - SL asked me post this here after our PM's

Thanks MTS we will try it the other way next time we work together. Will video it. Not sure when that will be. Might be a month or longer.
I will also try it myself if I can get my lower back loose enough.

Like I said in an earlier post, i focus on using the hips when working with the girls.

SL

Dec 29, 2010
SL, I respect you and your contributions to this site. Not trying to stir anything up with you and your friends. You guys have had plenly of success with Howard's/CB's teachings/clinics/videos. Your dd's are playing ball in college.

Any advice you get from MTS, RHC, ect ect, you have to go all in. You cant frankenstein the swing. You cant do the "move" or elvis and do what MTS is trying to help you on. Whatever you been taught or learned about the swing, you have to let go put far back in your mind. You will not get the snf drills, rhpp, hpp, the first attempt on your swing, it may take several attempts. Once you feel it the first time, it will change your perspective on the swing. The terminology will make sense to you. Reward, turn the barrel, giddyup, swing from your back (not your chest) ect ect.

Good luck, hope you feel it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi