Won't throw hard consistently

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

liviking

Liviking
Jun 17, 2010
Long Island ,NY
I had a similar problem with my daughter last year . She turned 12 over last summer and speed was not consistent . I felt it was more a mental part of the game than anything else . We would watch softball games together and pick up things . One of the things I observed was the fastest pitchers were focus and what I called the "grunters" ! They were loud and a force to be reckon with . When they delivered a pitch , while exhaling they would grunt. They had a presence in that circle ! This technique I use in college when I threw weighs and in Karate it is called a "kiai" . I explain to her that they are throwing with everything they got and the sound you hear is the result of 100% effort !Daughter wanted no part of that , people will laugh at me and make fun of me . I asked her to look around the stands , do you hear anyone laughing ? Anyone making fun of her ? Is the opposing team intimated by her ? It sunk in . Practices were different , her pitching coach wanted to know what I did ? Games were much different ! This will be a chapter in her memories that help changed her . You can pitch with emotion if you like , some do . I would try to enforce positive motivation rather than negative . But , I want her to throw with no emotion , be focus ! Sometimes emotion will mess with your technique . I would rather have confidence in herself and in the techniques that works on . Now when I see her wander from her focus , I flick my ear ! She knows I can't hear her and smiles as she is nodding to me . Hope this helps , it did for my DD . Good Luck !

Jan 21, 2013
It must be frustrating to see your daughter get hit so hard. Don't yell at her. Let the batters keep spanking her hard. She'll eventually get the message.

Feb 16, 2012
Great comments from everyone. I do my best not to yell at her as I think it is counter-productive in the long run. She will tell me she is doing her best when we both know she isn't and later she will admit it. I have asked her this past year what she wants out of softball. She says she wants to play with the big girls, she has the skill set to work with to get there, but doesn't put the time in...right now. her siblings don't play ball. Her sister (college) did theatre in HS and now in college. Her older brother umpires.

We had a heart to heart last night on the way to strength and conditioning and she made an eye opening statement. I don't think I pitch good enough for you. Whoa! I told her, once again, you don't pitch for me, your mother, your coach, your papa or anyone else. You pitch for you. I told her I like to watch her play but love to watch her play when she gives 100% effort. Can you give 100% effort and have a bad game...absolutely but give 100% to the end. I shower her with praise...even on bad games...and give encouragement on bad games...never yelling or criticizing. I am hoping she heard me this time. She proudly stated after practice last night that when they got to the last 5 min of conditioning she was wore out but "I gave it 100% of what I had left".

I like the idea of using a radar during some practices and may make an investment there. Her PC uses the revfire at times in her lesson. She responds well to that but it isn't cheap.

Nov 29, 2009
Is your DD playing at the proper competition level for her? She may need the challenge competing against stronger players as motivation to work at the peak of her abilities? She may see playing at her age or current competition level as less than a challenge.

Another thought is your daughter is behind in her softball maturity level. Your comment about not pitching good enough for you says to me that she has not made the game hers and hers alone at this time. At the 14U level and above the girls MUST play for themselves. The game only gets tougher as the weaker players leave the sport.

I hope she finds what she needs to drive her to excel all the time before she gives up on herself. It sounds like you're giving her all the support you can possibly give her while letting her make her own way down the path. That's all you can do and I wish the both of you the best of luck.

sluggers

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 26, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I told her I like to watch her play but love to watch her play when she gives 100% effort. Can you give 100% effort and have a bad game...absolutely but give 100% to the end.

You did well. It takes a lot for a kid (and most adults) to understand this. She has to give 100% for the entire game. It is difficult. It takes focus, mental discipline and practice. Did you also tell her, "You can also give 90% and win"?

You need explain what "competition" is all about. Competition is not about winning or losing. It about being in the moment and being 100% committed physically, mentally and emotionally to "the game".

I shower her with praise...even on bad games...and give encouragement on bad games...never yelling or criticizing. I am hoping she heard me this time.

IMHO, you shouldn't shower her with praise after bad games.

You have to be truthful. Two things to remember: (1) Timing and (2) Truthfulness

TIMING: There is no point in talking to any athlete immediately after a loss. She can't hear it. It is too painful. Winning/losing is emotional...people who play competitive sports know that losing hurts, and they accept it. Give her some time to decompress. The next day, after the pain is over, you can talk to her.

TRUTHFULNESS: Parents who only give positive praise stuff are hurting their child.

Objectivity is what the kid needs. Be truthful...if she sucked, she knows it. Don't pretend.

She proudly stated after practice last night that when they got to the last 5 min of conditioning she was wore out but "I gave it 100% of what I had left".

That is what it is all about. If she isn't going to give 100%, then there is no point in playing the stupid game. She would be better off watching MTV.

Last edited:
Feb 16, 2012
Sluggers...bad choice of words on my part. I don't shower her with praise after a bad game. I do talk to her when she comes to me after a bad game...I don't say anything until then. There is no point she doesn't and won't hear me. I do try to help her see where she struggled, guide her to see how to fix it or what to work on and then make sure she knows she did good stuff too (praise). Much better pitching lesson last night. She threw hard the whole time and when she didn't get the result she wanted she didn't let up to try and guide it. The first thing she said when we got in the car was "I never let up even when I sucked".

I think she is playing at the level she needs to but could see her playing up if she was determined to. I hope this way of thinking stays with her as it can only help her.

@liviking
Could you tell me which pitchers you are refering to? To me the "grunters" are the pitchers that do not have the skill to dominate. So they look for gimmicks. Yes I understand the process of the body forcing exhalation in certain athletic movements, but I have watched lots of college games and honestly I dont remember any of the "fastest pitchers" grunting in a noticably way. What I do see ALOT of is lower level pitchers grunting as loud as they can about 2/10 of second before the ball gets to the batter.
Its buschleague if you ask me. My daughter is a juinor in highschool 5' 10" and throws in the mid 60's. You barely hear her exhale, on some pitches such as the rise she does get a little louder but its not that obnoxious grunt you hear across the park and it happens right about time she releases the ball. I would challenge you to really listen and notice when they grunt, is it during their motion or when the pitch gets close to the batter. Does Abott "gunt", she's as fast as there is right now?
One of the funnest times I have had is when DD was facing a grunter. It was really frustrating her, being a pitcher and all. So I told her the next time the pitcher is about to release, load and grunt as loud as can. Well the pitchers mommy and daddy complained to the ump- the ump warned my daughter, DD turns and calmly asks whats the difference of her grunting right before I swing and me grunting? Ump turns to the parents and says if the pitcher grunts everyone gets to grunt. The look on their faces was worth all the money I have spent on softball.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2009
Could you tell me which pitchers you are refering to? To me the "grunters" are the pitchers that do not have the skill to dominate. So they look for gimmicks.

Grunters, screamers and yellers are my pet peeve. There is no need for it. You don't hear the men doing it in baseball.

What I do teach my players is to give me a sharp exhale at the end of the pitch to include the core muscles. I tell them the grunt doesn't need to be loud. I let them know about the only people who should be able to hear it are her corners if they are in. Other than that nothing more is needed.

liviking

Liviking
Jun 17, 2010
Long Island ,NY
@Thatdad - No particular pitchers , just from local games and tourneys . I agree with Sparky guy in that the sound is not so loud that you are going to hear it in the parking lot . But you are exhaling as you throw ,some are producing a sound , some don't . Some are also holding their breath while they throw . I have never seen a college game and only a few high school games . My dd is only 12 , I hope to see more . My goal was to help motivate my DD and by her exhaling with force in which a low grunt worked for her . I can only compare her throwing to sports I played and watching others who play softball . In this case the common denominator was exhaling and "grunting " . I hope for my daughter that her technique and height come close to your daughter . That is very impressive speed for any girl . The next time I am at a game I will listen and watch when a grunters releases the ball . If a pitcher is grunting on purpose to throw the timing off for the batter ,then I agree it is bush league . No one has ever said anything to her or myself about how loud she was . I do like that method of grunting by a batter , if the pitcher grunts then everyone can grunt ! I will have to remember that .

Good enough, just wanted to make sure your DD wasnt "that kid". And I do get when smaller girls are putting everything they have into a pitch they are gonna make a little more noise. Its the late grunt non-sense I am refering to. As far as my DD's size, she is blessed but she's no Ricketts or Traina size wise. I was getting at the fact that when her body is moving right AND she is breathing right she throws pretty fast and there is no loud grunt, in fact if I do hear her grunting I usualy start paying closer attention to her mechanics.
And hey if it helps her pysch up to put a little more into it, go for it. Just make sure she is doing it for the right reason.