Won't throw hard consistently

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Feb 16, 2012
My frustration is building with every practice and lesson. My DD (14) just will not throw hard on every pitch. When she throws hard she is accurate, fast and has a lot of movement. I try to let her know that when she throws hard she does much better. She agrees but no change. In our last fall tournament she didn't throw hard and the other team hit her hard. She comes out the next day to face a stronger team and is lights out...cause she threw hard!

How do you get them to consistently throw hard without yelling or nagging them? She has to do this on her own without my input if she wants to be successful. Is this just one of those things that they get "at some point"?

May 31, 2012
Seems like if she wants to succeed she would do everything possible to do her best. Ask her if she would be happy if the SS only gave 100% effort every other play or every other game. Pull her if she's not giving 100% effort(if your the coach) . Does she love pitching. Does she practice hard. You may have to let her fail and see if it motivates her to play harder. Show her the evidence. Today you avg 55 and got hit hard. Yesterday you were throwing 60 and threw a 1 hitter.

Feb 16, 2012
The catchers have not been an issue. Last years catcher had some hustle issues but she was confident she could catch her. This year she has an excellent catcher that is very game smart, knows how to catch and hustles every play.

I've asked her if she really wants to pitch and she says yes. To me it doesn't make a difference if she pitches or not...it's her decision. She doesn't practice like she wants to be on top but wants to be the top pitcher. Her actions do not support her words. She doesn't show the killer instinct in her lessons or when she pitches to me or even in every game. She will dominate when she wants to. Very confusing and frustrating for bucket dad here. I don't mind the time or the money but when you don't give full effort all the time...

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I agree with you. It is time to let her sink or swim. See if the catcher can light a fire under her. I would give the catcher permission to say "You can't break a window, throwing like that. Give me something hard."

May 25, 2010
The catchers have not been an issue. Last years catcher had some hustle issues but she was confident she could catch her. This year she has an excellent catcher that is very game smart, knows how to catch and hustles every play.

I've asked her if she really wants to pitch and she says yes. To me it doesn't make a difference if she pitches or not...it's her decision. She doesn't practice like she wants to be on top but wants to be the top pitcher. Her actions do not support her words. She doesn't show the killer instinct in her lessons or when she pitches to me or even in every game. She will dominate when she wants to. Very confusing and frustrating for bucket dad here. I don't mind the time or the money but when you don't give full effort all the time...
How old are her siblings?

Dec 20, 2012
My frustration is building with every practice and lesson. My DD (14) just will not throw hard on every pitch. When she throws hard she is accurate, fast and has a lot of movement. I try to let her know that when she throws hard she does much better. She agrees but no change. In our last fall tournament she didn't throw hard and the other team hit her hard. She comes out the next day to face a stronger team and is lights out...cause she threw hard!

How do you get them to consistently throw hard without yelling or nagging them? She has to do this on her own without my input if she wants to be successful. Is this just one of those things that they get "at some point"?

This is my problem when I hear PC's and parents say speed isn't everything, you need movement. And I totally agree with that philosophy. BUT, there are so many that teach to slow down, look pretty, and throw strikes. Then when they are pushed to get some speed by driving off the rubber, speeding the arm up, and working hard... they have timing issues, tire out easily, or just too lazy to throw hard all the time. I am a firm believer that you learn to throw as hard as you can, without sacrificing form and mechanics, from the get go and make all your adjustments from there. Not sure if this your dd's case but it can be sen all the time at any ball field.

Feb 16, 2012
Her PC has told her from day one to throw hard. In her lessons he has gotten on her to throw hard. "Is that as hard as you can throw? No? Then do it." He has been pushing her more and more but nada. He wants as much speed as she can get with as much movement as she can get. It's frustrating when you know your kid can do better, no matter what it is, if they would just put forth the effort.

When she faces a tougher team, a team she doesn't like or a coach she doesn't like she gives it everything she can. She wins some she loses some but she gave it her all. I just can't figure out how to motivate her to do it every time.

May 7, 2008
Tucson
I think I know how to do it. Make her a little mad or upset, all of the time. Well, not all of the time - but just before the game. I know how to do it, with one of my students and she knows why I am doing it. We laugh about it. But, she has something that we call "the stink face" and when I see her doing that, I know that she will pitch well.

So, whatever motivates your DD, do it. For example, out of the blue, just announce "No more cell phone. I am canceling it!" :)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OAFSoftballMom#1