Winter workouts: Start now or in January?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

rdbass

It wasn't me.
Jun 5, 2010
Not here.
Richk,
I like that idea better the "one on one'' instruction.As long as the girls/parents want to listen and get better as hitters.I learned a lot on this site and feel I can teach hitting to my DD team.I've learned that in order for girls/parents to listen to what I have to say or teach about hitting my DD better be a good hitter.Most girls/parents think the DD's are good hitters because they think they hit well at 10 and 12u but get a eye opener at 14u.The pitchers that are pitching at that age 14u are good or they woudn't still be pitching.Also if you can video tape the girls and let them see what they look like when the swing.That could be an ah ha moment.Hopefully not off topic.

Jan 24, 2011
We finished up our season in early October. Took off for about four weeks. Now , we have an indoor facility that we can use , so "workouts" are once a week for two hours on Saturday and are optional (until January). This week , I only had 3 that could come. But , those three worked hard on conditioning. We threw a little , did some front toss. They wanted to be there.

Apr 1, 2010
Last winter DD's 10U team only did hitting over the winter and by the time it was warm enough outside to work on throwing and fielding, they had lost a LOT of ground on their defensive skills. Her 12U coach this year is planning to take off a week or two here and there, during the holidays, etc., but not go for months at a time without drilling on throwing and fielding. His plans sound good to me--they're not going to slave away all winter, but they're going to try to keep from getting rusty.

I'm thinking the girls' skills will hold up better, but we'll have to see.

Coach-n-Dad

Crazy Daddy
Oct 31, 2008
I would LOVE to give DD 2 months down, but that isn't going to happen due to scheduling. She will get from just before Thanksgiving through Christmas.

Over the years we have been trying different things in the winter; one year no break at all, one year she was forced to have 2 full months off (in a wheelchair due to injury) and various other combinations. Her strongest spring season was after the injury and a forced 2 months off. When she came back, she felt strong, refreshed and ready for the gruelling spring and summer.

These kids need to have some time to recover. They need to heal physically and mentally.

edited to add:
I should note that DD plays HS Basketball in winter so she gets lots of conditioning. The "time off" is from softball; no hitting, no pitching, no yellow balls...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2009
beyond the fences
I believe if your pitcher you need to keep practicing. Take in consideration for age and DD desire.
Also work on hitting a few times a week

My DD is a pitcher. At the end of fall, she had thrown in the neighborhood of 70 games
since February. She is taking 6 weeks to rest her body from the rigors of softball. In this time, she will
condition only for spring (HS) ^ weeks away from pitching at 15 yo is not a deal breaker. When
she restarts she will be rested but most importantly enthusiastic. We all need a little re-charge
which has helped us immensely in past years. No Break leads to burnout

Nov 26, 2010
Michigan
My DD is a pitcher. At the end of fall, she had thrown in the neighborhood of 70 games
since February. She is taking 6 weeks to rest her body from the rigors of softball. In this time, she will
condition only for spring (HS) ^ weeks away from pitching at 15 yo is not a deal breaker. When
she restarts she will be rested but most importantly enthusiastic. We all need a little re-charge
which has helped us immensely in past years. No Break leads to burnout
Thank you for saying this. I was starting to think I was the only one. My dd took a long break last year, probably too long, but by the time games started she was right where she wanted to be. This year we are taking a shorter break, but a relatively long one compared to those who think that pitchers have to pitch year round.

Nov 23, 2010
North Carolina
I am all for downtime for any athlete of any age. They need the time to heal and rejuvenate the juices for the spring season.

But my DGD has other ideas. She wants to continue with her private catching and hitting lessons, one hour each a week. Then on Dec 10 she has a one day catching camp at a local college and on Dec 11 a one day "softball" camp at another local college. Then in Jan she wants to go to the NECC camp that will be held locally. Too much in my opinion but she is the one that wants to do it.

Now for the kicker, she doesn't want to play spring ball but continue her lessons and play soccer for her school. I don't know why, maybe because she is the only one moving up for her current team but will rejoin them next fall. I would say she is burned out after playing about 135 games this year, but she still wants to do the other training. I believe the spring is critical for her as it will be her first year in 14u, and pardon the pun, that is a whole new ball game. No one has talked to her about her options yet as the fall season is still going on, last tournament this weekend.

I hope once she has some downtime(?) her body heals and she gets the competitive juices again.

Jun 25, 2011
Boise , ID
My 12U DD had 5 or 6 weeks off after their last tournament and has just now started back up with 2 practices a week indoors . Last week there was a 2 hour camp being held at Boise State and when I asked my DD if sahe wanted to go she jumped at the chance . She felt like they had been off long enough and was ready to go after it full , tilt , boogie again . We will probably get a break over Thanksgiving and another for Christmas but for her she was ready . Her coach does allow for other sports so if they play Basketball of Volleyball they don't have to come to practice which seems fair enough to me . In our neck of the woods 7th graders don't play Volleyball until spring and after that it becomes a fall sport so my DD just wants to concentrate on Softball this year .

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sterp