Winning worth jerk coach

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Aug 5, 2009
Bordentown, NJ
I know and respect alot of rec coaches but there is a clear separation between competitive travel ball and rec.

There should be a clear separation, but there isn't always :(

I am 100% a "rec guy". Could care less about winning a single game as long as the kids are having fun and learning.

But we've played a few rec teams that are coached like travel teams. I found it kind of sad. Those girls didn't seem like they enjoyed the game at all (and don't get me started on the parents)

Jul 21, 2009
The original post - No disrespect to rec league coaches but nobody cares if a rec league team is undefeated.
No, I'm pretty sure he cared along with some of his parents.
Any and I mean any travel 10u team would probably destroy any team he put together. If he thought he had talent as a coach I wonder why he hasnt gone to coach travel.
Our league put together two travel teams (call it a glorified "All Stars". He coached one of them, my DD was on the other. He won one tournament (we came in 2nd in that one) and took second in another. He knows the game. But the way he treats the girls... even during the game, I don't understand when some parents put their DD on his team year after year.

Update... I found out through an outside (not affiliated with the league) that he has been suspended from coaching in our county for a year. :eek: All I was told was there were multiple complaints about how he treated the girls. We'll see what happens.

Oct 27, 2008
Never seen a rec team or a rec all star team do anything but get blown out in any of the tournaments I have been a part of except once. Played in a tournament where one team was a rec allstar team. The team had picked up several players from a large travel organization including a pitcher that is incredibly large for the age group. It was very sad to see rec league girls sitting on the bench watching these ringers play. If my daughter was on a team that did that I would have left immediately. I mean it was these girls only tournament and their home town tournament to boot.

Jul 21, 2009
Thatguy... I've only been involved in the sport for a year. All I can tell you is what I experienced. All the tournaments we played in were either 'B' level or 'Rec' level. The "jerk" coach's team (although based off of our rec league) has been playing together for a couple years. Our team was a hodge-podge. Our team got blown out (a lot), but we were also competitive (losing by one run in the bottom of the inning) in some games. Some of the teams that we were competitive against blew us out in other tournaments. One team we lost to twice by one run blew out the other team.

Sep 3, 2009
My daughter played two years at rec ball, and I gotta say, most of the coaches were there teach the game and have fun. The ones who treat it like the state finals are clueless. You have to wonder why they aren't coaching travel ball. I'll be they can't cut it. When my daughter made the switch to comp ball, we got lucky and were asked on a team our first year. My daughter wanted to move up, so this was our first year of tryouts. She had a few teams she was interested in, and a bunch of others we went to check out. We went to a couple of tryouts and my daughter was done after 15 minutes... "i dont want to play for this guy", etc. Found plenty of really "nice" coaches, that were looking for "every position", etc. It's a shame that the jerk coaches give coaches in general a bad rep.

It's supposed to be fun, and they develop skills. When it's not fun, that's when girls drop out. Who's to know what they could have accomplished with a GOOD coach? Parents, do your homework and check up on the coaches. Travel AND rec.

WARRIORMIKE

Pro-Staff Everything
Oct 5, 2009
At the Jewel in San Diego
I would pull my daughter out! No exceptions. yea the occasional yelling and bitching at the girls may be effective from time to time,but the insults all the time will take their toll on a person mentally. Real good coaches always analyze the problems and fix it with solutions.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ourLadGloves