Winning coin flip. Home or Visitor

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 20, 2015
tournament game i expect to win, i like visitor.....gets us the extra at bat if we mercy, and we can go out and set the tone - close game that is timed.....it depends.....close game expected w/o time limit, i tend to home

regular game, i tend to favor the same, honestly.......i kind of like visitor, but with HS ball there really isn't a coin flip haha

Aug 4, 2012
I like being visitors. One reason is to put some pressure on them by scoring first. Second reason is my main one:

Get your girls more at bats.

Example is last night. We were home team. We were leading the whole the game, so didn't get our last at bats. Girls want at bats. Being visitor gives you more of them.
That is my thinking that since we would be guaranteed to our full share of AB's that our lineup can put up an extra run or two going into our opponents last AB. Could put them away, change their strategy maybe being down more than normal going into their last ABs. This is all "hoping" that extra AB produces runs...but we all hope.

Oct 4, 2018
That is my thinking that since we would be guaranteed to our full share of AB's that our lineup can put up an extra run or two going into our opponents last AB. Could put them away, change their strategy maybe being down more than normal going into their last ABs. This is all "hoping" that extra AB produces runs...but we all hope.

And here's a tip:

Most of your armchair quarterback jerk dads will walk around grumbling "stupid coach won the coin toss and actually picked visitor?!?".

Explain to the girls and the parents that you are choosing visitor (often, or even always) because the girls will get more at bats that way. That should make some light bulbs go off and perhaps prevent some jerk dads from being jerk dads.

Dec 15, 2018
CT
In pool play choose visitor.

If you lose as visitor, you save an inning of pitching.
If you win as visitor, you have to pitch anyway (and you win).

If you win as home team, you may give up an opportunity to score more runs (you potentially lose an inning of hitting.

If you lose as home team, you have pitched an inning you wouldn't have needed to, and potentially give up more runs.

So, if seeding comes down to runs scored, runs allowed, or run differential, and you want to go into bracket with pitchers less gassed, choosing visitor in pool play likely leads to better outcomes.

Summarized well here:

May 17, 2012
Summarized well here:

Who cares about saving an inning of pitching in pool play? This isn't baseball, there isn't a pitch count.

My pitchers want more innings on the weekend, not less.

"...offensive team should bat first to get that emotional lift.". Good grief.

Jun 8, 2016
Who cares about saving an inning of pitching in pool play?
You obviously don't play when the heat indexes are 105+...The less innings you can play the better..Teams do things which are usually frowned upon (stealing up by a bunch,etc) to get a run-rule and (usually) nobody complains because they know why they are doing it..

Dec 15, 2018
CT
Who cares about saving an inning of pitching in pool play? This isn't baseball, there isn't a pitch count.

My pitchers want more innings on the weekend, not less.

"...offensive team should bat first to get that emotional lift.". Good grief.

Yes, they want to pitch more innings on the weekend (overall). To pitch more on Sunday is the goal.

Win (or lose) efficiently on Saturday so you're less gassed on Sunday.

Top_Notch

Screwball
Dec 18, 2014
My DD team ALWAYS chose to hit first. The coach would come back to the dugout and say, "Ok, we are scoring first!" They'd put up a couple runs and then throw an ace pitcher. Most teams were done by the end of the first inning.

Jun 8, 2016
Yes, they want to pitch more innings on the weekend (overall). To pitch more on Sunday is the goal.

Win (or lose) efficiently on Saturday so you're less gassed on Sunday.
It’s pretty clear from 3/4 of his posts that every pitcher GS worked with had Nolan Ryan endurance..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fpmithi