Winning 'B' Nationals means you should have been playing in the 'A' Bracket

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

Jun 1, 2013
Actually guys, all the sanctions let you do it if you are registered as a B you can play in any A tournament. This is not league ball. Tournament ball is a different animal everywhere except CA I guess. "C" is a step above "all stars", all stars is primarily rec teams that hit only a few tournaments a year. We are registered B team in ASA and Utrip and play nothing but opens and A tournaments. We got better 3/4 through the year with the addition of two players and cutting some girls. So instead of being called an A team we just go and play A teams. We aren't sand bagging either, we are not playing ant nationals or world's at the B level. Back to the response though, many states let you mix as long as you are playing up. B into A, not A into B.

Mar 21, 2013
That was my thought, too. In So Cal, ASA has some pretty firm rules about separation of A (travel) and B (rec all-star) teams. As I understand it, one local team had their B-State title taken away because they were splashing around in the A puddle (travel friendlies) after the cutoff date.

Biting my tongue for now...LOL

I wish they would just go back to the way it used to be for all tournaments, there was no A or B. All tourney's were dbl elim's, and they were do or die. I also wish there would just be a rec league and a comp league, but we all know why they went away from that set up for tourney's :) its all about the money they generate with pool play and keeping teams in the area for the whole weekend vs sending a bunch home.

Jun 12, 2015
I like tournaments that have 2 brackets, so the best teams (based on pool games) play each other for 1st and 2nd in a gold bracket; the less awesome teams play each other for 1st and 2nd in a silver bracket. That's my favorite format but I've only seen them run this way a couple of times.

Cannonball

Ex "Expert"
Feb 25, 2009
I guess it differs across the country. In our area, typically teams comprised of 1st year players in an age group are "B" and 2nd year are "A." Naturally, there are some programs that only play "A" or "B." For example, the 12U "B" team my dd coached was a "B" team this year and next year will be an "A" Team. They will have a 1st year team as well in 12U.

Aug 20, 2013
Some have asked which organization would allow this. I'm in Florida, and can say without a doubt that NSA & USSSA will let it happen. The only fix is with the tournament directors turning these teams away. The problem is it's all about the money....period.

Here's just 1 recent example that happened in the past month in my area:
"Team T" is an "A" team that was qualified and playing ASA "A" Nationals in CA.
The week before leaving for CA, they played and won the NSA "B" World Series.

Since they are a local team to where the "B" World Series was held, the director had plenty of knowledge of this teams caliber and should have excluded them....maybe they would have if it wasn't for the $$$

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
I like tournaments that have 2 brackets, so the best teams (based on pool games) play each other for 1st and 2nd in a gold bracket; the less awesome teams play each other for 1st and 2nd in a silver bracket. That's my favorite format but I've only seen them run this way a couple of times.

That causes problems also. Now I can't get my number 3 or 4 pitcher innings because tie breakers may cost me a chance to play with the big teams in the Gold Bracket.

Jun 12, 2015
That causes problems also. Now I can't get my number 3 or 4 pitcher innings because tie breakers may cost me a chance to play with the big teams in the Gold Bracket.

True, though on our last team that would have been ok. It would have been nice to stand a chance at a tournament and boost the girls' confidence a little. We were a first year team with mostly girls who'd come straight from rec and we just couldn't hang with all the really strong teams that so consistently kicked our butts. I think they still had fun though.

JJS

Jan 9, 2015
True, though on our last team that would have been ok. It would have been nice to stand a chance at a tournament and boost the girls' confidence a little. We were a first year team with mostly girls who'd come straight from rec and we just couldn't hang with all the really strong teams that so consistently kicked our butts. I think they still had fun though.

That's the wonderful thing about softball. The "right answer" could be wrong for someone else. It depends on age, level, region and also on team goals. I think sometimes we forget that in these posts, and can only visualize our own situations.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YOUNGG