what should we say?

Welcome to Discuss Fastpitch

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Softball Community on the Web.

May 6, 2015
DD is a catcher, has been having some shoulder pain throwing shoulder, Xray and trip to ortho, they do not see anything serious, but they describer her shoulder joint as loose. they want her to do PT for a month to strengthen some of the shoulder and back muscles. they did not shut her down completely, from softball or swimming, but want her to limit her throwing at practice (ie if catching, collect balls in bucket rather than return, etc.), no backstroke or butterfly at swim practice. KT tape for softball practice.

DD has to change teams this fall, as she must move up an age group, rest of team will stay where they are. DD went to this team last year, becuase we were in reverse situation, did not really find much weliked for her year, and we knew coach, and he expressly stated he wanted her to become a leader for team and he would help her develop that (and that has happend for the most part). we have 2-3 tourneys left (covid sucks, abbreviated "spring", etc.). Obviously we will inform her current coach of restrictions, which will basically last rest of this season.

Question is, how much do we disclose to prospective coaches, either at tryouts or in conversations (she might very well have a couple of coaches who will not require a tryout, they know her already). I think with the PT and reduced load it will be fine, but in September, if we are not seeing improvement, we will probably shut her down for 4-6 weeks other than PT. She absolutely wants no issues in winter, her last year to try for JO in swimming. I do not want to be deceptive, but on the other hand, it is fall, and the hope is we do not have to shut her down (we are coming off shutdown of almost three months ;)) I am just worried if they see a potential issue on the horizon, however far away, they may shy away. we are talking B or C level ball really.

Jun 26, 2020
I always choose honesty. Also, she's a catcher. If she's a good one they're not going to chase her off

Shoulders are always a problem with athletes who are actively competing. Once they stop it goes away. Throwing, pitching, and swimming are tough. Despite staying in a Holiday inn Express I don't give medical advice. Strengthening around that joint is always in her best interest. Shoulders are held together my rubber bands

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta, GA
I'd say be honest about the injury, but tell them BEFORE the tryout (so that they don't think it's an excuse for poor throws if that were to happen). I wouldn't mention the "we're considering keeping her out for 4-6 weeks" part. Tell them you have a plan for PT and anticipate her to be 100% by _____ (whatever date fits).

We've done this once before. DD had tendinitis of the rotator cuff and biceps while she was trying out. It was rough. It hurt and it showed, plus she got in her own head about it. Remember, too, most teams are looking again over Christmas break, so if worse comes to worse, she could potentially try out again then.

May 6, 2015
Shoulders are held together my rubber bands

not mine, mostly sutures ;) tore nearly every ligament and tendon in my right shoulder 20+ yrs ago. shoulder injuries just plain suck.

will probably have to say something, as she will be wearing KT tape to tryouts.

Jun 26, 2020
not mine, mostly sutures ;) tore nearly every ligament and tendon in my right shoulder 20+ yrs ago. shoulder injuries just plain suck.

will probably have to say something, as she will be wearing KT tape to tryouts.
Ha maybe it runs in the family???

Looking at this from an honest perspective. Unfortunately there's no huge upside for women's Athletics except maybe as a competitor in the Olympics. I would err on the side of caution and make sure she heals up properly even though it never truly heals

May 6, 2015
Ha maybe it runs in the family???

mine was trauma, stupid 22 yr old me thought it would be fun to try to turn two small jumps on a downslope into a launch and a landing ramp instead. Got lots of speed (mountain biking), got inverted in air, Wham! shoulder cost me $50 to fix (days of $5 copays), bike cost $200 to fix. as I am pulling my bike out of bushes with only my left arm, my buddy asks me if my arm is alright, it was hanging very oddly and I did not even notice (adreniline)

Jun 8, 2016
Just be happy she told you..my shoulder hurt me from the time I was 16 till I quit playing at 21 and I never told a soul :rolleyes:

Jul 22, 2015
DD is a catcher, has been having some shoulder pain throwing shoulder, Xray and trip to ortho, they do not see anything serious, but they describer her shoulder joint as loose. they want her to do PT for a month to strengthen some of the shoulder and back muscles. they did not shut her down completely, from softball or swimming, but want her to limit her throwing at practice (ie if catching, collect balls in bucket rather than return, etc.), no backstroke or butterfly at swim practice. KT tape for softball practice.

DD has to change teams this fall, as she must move up an age group, rest of team will stay where they are. DD went to this team last year, becuase we were in reverse situation, did not really find much weliked for her year, and we knew coach, and he expressly stated he wanted her to become a leader for team and he would help her develop that (and that has happend for the most part). we have 2-3 tourneys left (covid sucks, abbreviated "spring", etc.). Obviously we will inform her current coach of restrictions, which will basically last rest of this season.

Question is, how much do we disclose to prospective coaches, either at tryouts or in conversations (she might very well have a couple of coaches who will not require a tryout, they know her already). I think with the PT and reduced load it will be fine, but in September, if we are not seeing improvement, we will probably shut her down for 4-6 weeks other than PT. She absolutely wants no issues in winter, her last year to try for JO in swimming. I do not want to be deceptive, but on the other hand, it is fall, and the hope is we do not have to shut her down (we are coming off shutdown of almost three months ;)) I am just worried if they see a potential issue on the horizon, however far away, they may shy away. we are talking B or C level ball really.
I'd be honest as to what you actually KNOW but don't get caught up in a bunch of "if this then that" because you simply have no idea how it will turn out and there's no need to shoot yourself in the foot. Also, in the end it's B or C level and generally not that cut-throat anyway.

BigSkyHi

All I know is I don't know
Jan 13, 2020
So far it appears the worst that could happen is missing out on a dream and that would suck.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brookeshaelee